Toilet fills only, doesn't go down

Old 07-07-08, 12:03 PM
Unhappy Toilet fills only, doesn't go down

Toilet just fills with water. I have replaced all the insides twice. I have also used the water hose method to clear out vent pipe. ( When bowl is flushed I was on top of roof at the vent site and there was no noise or suction coming from vent, thats why I used the hose. Thinking it was clogged.)And I have just finished taking the toilet bowl off and snaked with a 25 foot auger and still nothing is going down. My system is septic and was just cleaned out 2 weeks ago. PLEASE HELP.
Is it possible I just need a new toilet?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-08, 03:02 PM
Are you able to flush toilet at all? Once, twice or not at all.
Does it matter if there is waste/paper in the toilet or are you just trying to flush water only?

If you still have toilet off: Take it outside, turn it over and run garden hose into the base of toilet. Check and see if you wash anything out of the goose neck back into the bowl. If something got dropped into the toilet it will make it flush some of the time not all the time (ie. comb, toothbrush, several toothpicks, etc.).

If toilet is installed, flush and watch the jet hole at the very bottom of the toilet. See if you see anything come halfway out of the hole. You may have to put your hand/finger in the there and see if you feel anything. I have had folks use the bleach tabs in the tanks and they get sucked into the jets in the bowl. Then they block the flow of water and the toilet doesn't work properly.

Is the water level in the tank at the proper level? 1.6 gal tanks can be a pain, you have to ensure the water level is high enough to get a good flush.

Old 07-07-08, 04:41 PM
I'm only flushing water. When you flush, water comes out of the holes, water swirls alittle and fills to top of rim and than stops. Nothing else happens, and the water level is to the top in the tank. I also just snaked the toilet again to make sure nothing is in there and it's clear.

Old 07-07-08, 06:28 PM
Do you have a GOOD closet auger or just an inexpensive one. Sometimes they cheaper ones are not as long or as strong as the better RIGID brands. Sometimes the snake will turn around in the passageways and not even go through the clog. It definitely sounds like a clog to me. When you had the toilet off, did you look in from underneath? Did you run any other water while the toilet was off? What floor is the toilet on? How many bathrooms are there? Is this the only thing backing up?
If you pour water into the pipe while the toilet is off, does it appear to go down alright?
Have there been any changes to the plumbing system within the last month?

Answer as many of these as you can so I can help more.

Old 07-07-08, 06:56 PM
When I ran the auger in the drain with the toilet off, it went in with no problem. I ran the hose down the toilet drain on full force and no water backed up,went down nice. House is a ranch, septic system, 2 bathrooms. First bathroom works fine. The second bathroom at end of house, has a sink and shower that has no problem with water, backing up or not going down. Only thing done to plumbing was changing of the ball and chain as they looked old. Since changing the ball and chain, Toilet doesn't flush at all. Water fill the bowl and nothing else. I have the lid off right now playing with the insides to see if something isn't set right. High water level, flapper goes up and down, just the water doesn't go out. I've also been plunging for awhile to see if it make a difference.

Old 07-07-08, 08:45 PM
Is the refill tube still into or just above the overflow tube and not just lying in the tank?
Could something have gone into the bowl, through the tank, while changing the ball and chain? (like a bowl cleaner or something? Is the main jet working? The one in the bottom of the bowl.

Is it an American Standard?

I had one recently with the same problem. I checked everything and could not get it. Finally, I replaced the toilet. I took the old one out and smashed it, but still found nothing.

Works fine now...

Old 07-07-08, 09:08 PM
The refill tube in the over flow tube. I don't see how anything could have gone down there, its a tight space, hard to get at these little things. And it is an American Standard
is is possible that the bowl and tank just need to be replaced and thats it, that the new guts getting put in just isn't fitting right.

Old 07-08-08, 07:59 AM
Sounds like your problem is inside the bowl of the toilet. The guts within the tank are doing what they are supposed to do, putting water into the bowl.

If the bowl is filling with just water and not going down, you have a blockage beyond where you can see. You say you have pulled the toilet and snaked the sewer line and ran water down it, using a garden hose, with no problems. So we can assume the line is clear.

This means, something is preventing the water from leaving the toilet!!!!! Not only that, but it is something that is blocking WATER, not waste or paper, but water.

Sounds to me, something got dropped into the toilet. I would guess you are looking at a top off of a can of shaving cream, shampoo, hair spray, etc...

I would pull the toilet. Snake it from the bottom into the bowl and see if you can push whatever it is into the bowl. If this doesn't work, I would use your garden hose, run water from the bottom into the bowl, see if anything washes into the bowl.

If you don't get anything out of the toilet on those attempts...........go get an new toilet. Just to ease your mind and to give yourself some stress relief; use a hammer (eye protection) and gentlely break the old toilet near the bottom. You should be able to see what was stuck in the there by doing that. There has to be something in there!!!!! Just pouring a bucket of water in the bowl, the water should go down....unless something is stopping it.

Good luck

Old 07-13-08, 01:21 PM
Not the toilet, it was replaced this weekend and still just fills with water and than nothing. went under the house to see if I could find something, as I was looking around under there I notice that my shower drain was not hooked up. I have no clue as to how long this has been like this. Could this be the reason why my toilet doesn't flush? This is just a guess, that the flow or vacuum or something was not complete and it caused my toilet not to flush. I haven't fixed the drain as it is all rust and now I need to resort to getting a plumber, unless anybody has any ideas as to get the rusted drain out of the shower.

Old 07-13-08, 04:02 PM
My only thoughts at this time are either a blocked vent or the drain is partially plugged enough so some water will go down, but when a quantity of water such as the amount in the toilet is run down the line it cannot keep up.

I really hope you let me know what you or your plumber finds.

Old 07-19-08, 03:13 PM
IT WAS THE TOILET, something wasn't right with the first new toilet I put on, so I went and spent more money and put that one on, and WOW it went down with no problem. Just big air bubbles after you flush, is that anything to worry about? THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO RESPONDED.

Old 07-19-08, 03:43 PM
Upvotes Received: 16
Bubbles are not good. Generally indicate a venting problem. flush it a few more times and if it still bubbles post back.