Installing a bath sink drain

Old 07-09-08, 11:46 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing a bath sink drain

The drain that I'm installing came with the Price Pfister faucet and has a lever type drain stopper. My old sink had the same and when I dismantled it, the lever that was in the drain was all corroded though it wasn't but 10 years old and not used much. I notice that water seems to sit on top of the rubber washer that is put next to the sink bottom from the over flow holes in the drain pipe. In the new one, it seems to be the same. Even though the water has never been in the overflow hole at the top of the sink, it would seem to me that it would go in to that area just from using the water and that water would just sit there forever. Am I wrong in this assumption and should I just get a solid drain pipe and forego the lever stopper? This sink is never filled with water anyway that the overflow hole would be used. Can you buy hole covers that I could cover up that top overflow hole just in case?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-08, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The water from the overflow goes directly down the drain except for maybe a few drops. Thei is done through the holes in the drain when put up through the sink. Each time you use water, those few drops are washed out with new water and then down the drain. You should never really have any stagnant water there even if you do not use the overflow. The overflow is there for your protection but there is no code saying you must have one to my knowledge. I have seen some brand new sinks without them.

You can purchase a P.O. plug or straight through drain with no Pop-up assembly at plumbing supply houses. As far as a plug for the overflow holes, I have never seen anything for them.