Toilet: Replace Odd Overflow Tube?

Old 07-13-08, 08:26 PM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet: Replace Odd Overflow Tube?

I'm pretty sure my toilet has a slow leak between the flapper and flush valve - every 30 minutes or so the tank needs to fill up again. I bought a "standard" replacement kit that included a new flapper and fill valve, thinking this was going to be easy switch out.

However, upon opening my tank I see that my current (leaking) overflow tube/flapper configuration is "non-standard" -- the overflow tube is centered over the tank flush valve and has a flapper that is built-into the overflow tube (just like the newer floats are built into the inlet pipe). Thus, I need to also replace the current overflow tube in order to replace the current flapper with the flapper I've purchased. None of the help diagrams show this configuration. The overflow tube-flapper combo appears to be somehow screwed into the seat between the tank and bowl.

I know that I will also need to find a new "standard" overflow tube, but what do I need to do to get this old overflow tube / flapper combo taken out? Do I need to remove the tank from the bowl and unscrew it there?

TIA.

Old 07-14-08, 05:19 AM
J
You need to remove the tank from the bowl to replace the overflow. There is a large nut that holds it in place, and 2-3 bolts(Bottom of tank) that hold the tank on. Of course, the water supply must be disconnected.

But before you try that, try the Fluidmaster flapper replacement kit. It has an adhesive gasket that fits onto the seat and makes a new surface for the flapper. That will fix the problem 75% of the time. The flapper seat must be absolutely clean and dry, but just follow directions.

Old 07-14-08, 12:03 PM
U
thanks for the help.

Follow-up: a trip to the hardware store educated me that the odd overfill valve is a “Mansfield valve”. The toilet is a Mansfield toilet as well. Does it matter if I replace this with a standard Fluidmaster replacement overfill / flapper (will it fit)?

Old 07-14-08, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Did you replace the gasket/seal on the flush valve? The mansfield valves have 2 diff sizes to my knowledge. It's a round flat rubber circle that fits on the bottom (non moving) piece. Prob a buck or 2 and much easier than replacing the whole flush assy.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/images...al-example.gif

The ones I've worked on, you unscrew the piece that the rubber fill hose attaches to, then lift off the part that the handle actuates. Pull the old seal off the bottom piece (it'll leave marks all over yer hands) clean the groove off with a rag, then fit the new one on. Re-install the other parts and see how it goes. 5 min max.

Oh, turn the water off while yer doing all this. And get 2 of each size, I've had a couple that were kinked out of the package, and wouldn't seal well. Return what ya don't need.

Old 07-14-08, 06:42 PM
I agree with gunguy45 on this. If you replace the rubber seal and still have problems, I would replace it with a Mansfield flush valve assy. as I have had real good luck with them.

Old 07-14-08, 09:21 PM
U
I replaced the flush valve gasket as suggested and it seems to work. Saved lots of time / effort and I haven't heard it running. While I had the tank opened (and since I'd already bought and opened it), I replaced the fill valve/float assembly as well - that gasket only leaked once - I THINK it's OK now. Rookie.

Thanks.

Old 06-17-13, 06:40 PM
I
I have replaced the gasket a couple times. It only lasts for a few (2-4) months and then slides off to the side. are there any other tips.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: