Delta single lever shower valve-no hot water

Old 07-17-08, 01:36 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Delta single lever shower valve-no hot water

About two years ago I installed a single lever shower/tub valve. The type you rotate c-clockwise. At about 90 degrees, the hot water kicks in. It's been working fine until recently. We've got plenty of cold but as soon as you get past the 90, the water just slows to a trickle. Not even enough to keep the shower diverter up. I tried opening the stops with the valve cartridge out to see what I had for water pressure, but got nothing on either side. I swapped the rubber cups and put it back together and no change. I have a single lever at the lav and it works fine. It's late, my GF wants to take a shower and it looks like I'll be sleeping in my car tonight-HELP

Old 07-17-08, 07:20 AM
Sounds like a pressure-balanced type shower, and the balanceing spool is stuck. It is easily replaced.

On the other hand, if you removed the complete cartridge..including spool....and still got no water, then the check-stop is bad, or something further back up the line is shut off or clogged. Fill in some details, maybe even post some pictures if you can.

Old 07-17-08, 07:45 AM
J
This valve is 2 piece--sure you didn't leave 1/2 of it inside
fixture??????????????

Old 07-17-08, 04:55 PM
A
Delta single lever tub valve-isnt

My bad! It's not a delta-it's a Glacier Bay. Prob is still the same. I myself don't understand how I can have the valve apart, open the stops, and not have water all over the place. But when I put it together, I get good flow from the cold. I suspected something lodged in the Hot shutoff-it happened a lot before I changed the valve, installed dielectric unions where iron meets copper, and shocks at the laundry tray. Plus, when I open the hot side I hear a slight "thunk". I'd love to provide pictures but I'm having trouble uploading them. I think 594 tough has a grasp of my problem. I'm heading to the saloon and clear my head

Old 07-17-08, 05:34 PM
J
Well, you have the problem half licked--you know the name of
the fixture.

Old 07-20-08, 02:59 PM
A
Thank you 594tough for putting me on to pin-pointing my hot water problem. I wasn't aware of pressure balanced faucets. in this case the spool was stuck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: