Feeling like a lobster!

Old 07-23-08, 08:13 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Feeling like a lobster!

HI!
I hope someone can help! I own a 1890 home with the original big, deep, clawfoot tub. Sounds great, right?! Well, not unless you like boiling hot scalding baths! The previous owner built sort of a counter/deck/ledge type thing behind the tub and installed a deck mount Kohler kitchen faucet in that about 20 years ago. I am sure it worked then, but now the cold faucet is impossible to turn on. I can't even budge it without tools!

So, I am wondering what is causing this problem, how can I repair it, and will it be a problem getting replacement parts for a 20 year old faucet?

Thanks so much. I look forward to reading your answers.(OK, OK, I look forward to being able to bathe without my skin peeling off due to the heat )

Sharon

Old 07-24-08, 12:48 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Remove and replace the stem on the cold side of the faucet.Remove it and take it to a good hardware store or public selling plumbing supply.You should not have trouble finding a replacement.20 years is nothing and Kholer is a common brand.That said the stem must be an exact match so having it with you will help greatly.Once you get one replace the old one and use plumbers grease to lubricate.Should do the trick.Lubrication "might" fix the current stem however if you've been forcing it with tools it would be better to replace it.Might want to check out hot side while you're at it at least check the washer condition.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: