Sucking/Gurgling Tub Drain

Old 08-08-08, 05:40 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sucking/Gurgling Tub Drain

I think this is more plumbing than tub but I will post here first. I am buying a 10 year old house with a newer jacuzi(spelling) tub in the master bath. During the home inspection we checked all sinks and tubs for water supply and drainage. Every sink, tub, and toilet drained fine until we tried the master tub. When we drained the tub there was a loud sucking/gurgling sound the entire time it took to drain. I don't know if it is a clogged drain or maybe bad vent. The current owner is getting a plumber to look at it today, but don't know to trust him or not. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-08-08, 07:00 AM
F
Gurgeling Tub

Let The Plumber Do His Thing, Your Kinda Jumpen The Gun. Talk To The Plumber, He Can Do A Better Job Than Me. He Can See The Tub.

Old 08-08-08, 06:08 PM
B
Response from plumber

Well this is the response that the seller got from the plumber. If anyone has any insight as to if this is true or if it can be changed/fixed, please let me know. It is something that I can live with, but it is the loudest tub drain I have ever heard. Thanks for all your time.

"The noise is actually the ovrflow reacting to the rush of water down the
tub. Bob checked both the upstairs and downstars tubs for me. The drains
are clear and running fine."

Old 08-09-08, 12:14 AM
The noise coming from the overflow is definitely a possibility.

Unfortunately, if the plumber said this, I would have to agree with him as I cannot bee at your home to listen or watch as you let the water out. As long as the water is going down OK and you are not hearing any gurgling in any of the other fixtures, I would not be too worried about it.

Old 08-09-08, 07:29 AM
B
Thanks

Thanks for your reply. It will ease my mind a bit thinking that it is what he says. The tub does drain well, it was just noisy. All the other fixtures work fine. No noise or slow draining. Well I'm sure I will be on here a lot seeing I am buying a home. So thanks for everyones time and patience with me on here.

Old 08-09-08, 09:01 AM
Come on back all you need. That is what we are here for.

Old 08-09-08, 09:50 AM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I see this occasionally at home inspections here in Chicago, the common thread seems to be the trend to larger (especially triangular and/or two-person) jetted tubs where the supply and drain are at a corner projecting out into the middle of the room and the drain ends up right at the limit of the allowable run to the stack:

(This is a picture I GOOGLED up for this post, not an example from an actual inspection, but if the drain is on the left end of the tub and stack was in the wall to the right, or back in the right corner, this would typical of where I often see such problems).

When such tubs "gurgle" loudly when draining, and the plumber checks them out, they usually issue a report similar to yours.

AFAIK about the only thing you can do reduce the noise is to ask the plumber if it is possible to add an additional re-vent between the drain and the stack, usually this is impossible to do without major remodeling around the tub - if it can be done at all.

When I see these tubs I take a few sniffs closer and closer to the overflow before testing anything else, one practical concern when you hear excessive noise when draining is the possibility the drain's trap will siphon, which would allow sewer gasses into the the house.

Old 08-09-08, 10:17 AM
Michael Thomas,

I do not believe this is the case here, and adding an additional vent will not have any affect on the noises. If I am correct. the noises we are talking about are caused when letting the water drain, you probably have a swirl in the tub and the noise is coming from the overflow. You will also get a sucking noise coming from the swirling vortex of water. This is all normal drainage noises. If you filled you kitchen sink all the way and it drains well, you should be able to replicate the noise there also, but maybe not quite as loud. .The vent would only affect after the tub is drained and then you are hearing a gurgling from the drain hole.
I could be wrong, because I have not been there, but a plumber already has, and I think I know what his diagnosis was.

Old 08-09-08, 10:52 AM
B
Thanks for the insight. The tub is similar to the one in the picture, but it is set opposite. The faucet and drain are at the end on the wall. The wall also is the common wall to the "Hall" bath. The bath in the "hall" is just your normal one piece tub/shower and drains normally. Also the water did swirl and drain pretty quickly. Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: