Embarrasing rookie mistake

Old 08-10-08, 03:28 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Embarrasing rookie mistake

Okay, I installed a toilet for the first time today. It seems to have went well--no leaks and the toilet flushes. However, just as I finished up I realized that I left the rags I used to plug up the drain hole still inside! I think there were 2 or 3 rages inside. The strange thing is that the toilet seems to flush well (I've tried about ten times or so.) I really don't want to have to disassemble everything and do it again, but will do so if that's necessary. Can anyone tell me:

1. Do I need to remove the toilet and get the rags out, or is the drains large enough to let the rags through?
2. If I have to remove the rags, is there another way to remove them without removing the toilet?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mark

Old 08-10-08, 07:05 PM
F
if i was the plumber on the job. i would beat you with my baseball cap. then give you a raise, for having the guts to stand up and admit that you made a mistake.you would be surprised how many people would not say something. you already flushed it 10 times. the rag is gone. it could come back and bite you in the but. but it is not under that toilet anymore.. it is down the line. flush that line good. if you look in the clean out outside, you might catch it, fill the tub up and let er rib, a few times. good luck

Old 08-10-08, 10:58 PM
Received 11 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I'm with frodo....rags are gone. Run a bunch of water down the line and hope it pushes the rags into the main line or the septic tank, which ever system you have.

If they happen to get hung up somewhere in the line, you will experience a partial clog (slow draining) or eventually a full clog as everything builds up behind them. So keep your eye open for a while and hope for the best.

Old 08-11-08, 03:25 AM
B
Frodo, Tyring2Help:

Thanks for the info and advice. So, it seems that there's no point in removing the toilet now. If the rags made it into the main line, does that mean I'm in the clear, or is it possible they'll cause a clog later on? Any guess as to how long I need to go without a full or partial clog to know that it won't cause a problem down the road? Also, if I do notice a slow drain that might indicate a clog somewhere in the line, will a plumber be able to reach the rags without to dig up the pipes and break into them?

Thanks.

Mark

Old 08-11-08, 09:20 AM
F
thats one of the things i can't answer. i think its gone, butit could get hung up somewhere. you sewer can be cleaned out,
with a snake, if it acts up. you should not have to bust anything. just a matter of ''pushing'' it out. just flush good.
toilets are the best for that,they release a large volume of water all at once. take care good luc

Old 08-11-08, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Just a comment from a very occasional plumbing guy...

Thats why I use paper towels...at least they will degrade a bit faster if they do actually get pushed in or lost down the pipe.

Old 08-11-08, 01:13 PM
F
i hear ya gunguy. the worst clog i've run into is those brown
paper towels, that you find in stores and such as that. those things are brutal...... and sewer mice.. you know those female.... things with the string. looks like a mouse!!!!!!!
a true story...
i was cleaning out the shower drain, at a guys house.and ,you know the type. won't go away and leave you alone. telling me he is a truck driver and just got back. and shower wasn't stopped up when he left. wife stays home alone.and blah blah blah. well i pulled rubbers out of drain .with a bucket cable. and told the guy he needed to put a strainer on the drain. he asked what i found. i told him propalactives sir. he said what is that. i said rubbers man.
he started yellen and screamen that he didn't use those.
yellen at his wife.. i just said will you sign this please
and got the heoo out as fast as i could. i heard yellen all the wat out in the street.......

Old 08-11-08, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Ouch Frodo
Bad stuation there...but funny as he11!!!

Old 08-11-08, 04:20 PM
You gotta admit, that was very funny to us, I bet not as funny to them

Old 08-11-08, 05:45 PM
R
Assuming the rags are still in your sewer line and still working their way through to the main street line, Do this:

If you have an outside drain in rear or front of house, (rear is better) take the drain cover off and place a 32 gallon empty trashcan close enough to the drain hole so that when its full of water, most of it will pour directly into the hole as you tilt it.
This will give you a better flush then any toilet or bathtub.
Do this two to three times and it should wash those rags all the way through to the main sewer line, unless you have tree roots in your line.

Old 08-12-08, 08:20 AM
B
rjordan392,

I looked around the house and found what I think are two traps or cleanout points, one inside the basement utility room, and the other just outside the front of my townhome (nothing in the rear). If I decided to try your idea, would it be better to use the indoor or outdoor access point? I should also point out that the outside trap/cleanout point is close to the location of the basement bath where the rags were left. Don't know if that makes it a better spot, since I don't know how the pipe actually exits the house into the main line.

On another note, since there is an access point just outside the townhome, is there any sense in using a snake to try and find/remove the rags??? Will a snake allow you to grab something and drag it out?

Mark

Old 08-12-08, 10:03 AM
R
I was thinking you had a outside drain where all the water in the area is directed towards the drain. If you only have cleanouts and if they are elevated, you cannot lift 32 gallons of water or even if surface mounted on a flat surface, then you will get a lot of water all over the place. Then the cleanout pipe size should be at least 4 inches for my idea to have a chance.
Using a snake will break up obstructions in the sewer lines. The interior cleanout would be the best place to start because you want to start snaking ahead of the obstruction, not behind it as you do not know exactly where the rags are.
Or even if you have a clog.

But lets first get sensible about all of this.
My idea does not cost anything and does a good job if it can be applied.
At this point, You can wait it out to see if the situation changes. If a clog develops, then you can rent a power snake or hire the job out to a contractor. If you decide to do it yourself, be careful in removing the cleanout caps. They might be seized up tight and could require some expertize in removing them or you take a chance in breaking the fittings.
So waiting it out is the cheapest solution.

Old 08-12-08, 11:12 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by plumbingods
You gotta admit, that was very funny to us, I bet not as funny to them

You are right! No such word as can't! It is a contraction of two words: can/not. Such as "can not please everyone all the time!" Just having a little fun!!

Old 08-19-08, 10:48 AM
M
Just a thought..

If it is a basment bathroom, do you have a pump that lifts the waste up to the sewer -- could the rag be in the emacerator pit?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: