Multi-head shower requirements?

Old 08-10-08, 04:48 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Multi-head shower requirements?

Remodeling 40 yr old master bath. Hope to install multi-head shower system.

Are there guidelines for checking to determine whether I have adequate water pressure and water flow/pipe size?

Already plan to install tankless water heater to ensure enough hot water.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-08, 12:54 PM
F
what size is your water line coming into the house?
it is most likley a 3/4 line. if it was mine i would run 3/4 to
all the heads. the mixing valve will tell you ,what it requires.
whats your pressure in your house? to figure your line size requirements, i would need to know how many fixtures you have, the fixture names,, to figure fixture units, then use that info in a calcalation, to figure size, and demand.
but the fact remains, if incoming pipe size is 3/4, run 3/4
to each head , and control

Old 08-12-08, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by frodo View Post
what size is your water line coming into the house?
it is most likley a 3/4 line. if it was mine i would run 3/4 to
all the heads. the mixing valve will tell you ,what it requires.
whats your pressure in your house? to figure your line size requirements, i would need to know how many fixtures you have, the fixture names,, to figure fixture units, then use that info in a calcalation, to figure size, and demand.
but the fact remains, if incoming pipe size is 3/4, run 3/4
to each head , and control
3/4 is a bit much... We install 3/4 close to any multi valve system and half to everything else. I haven't seen many rough in valves take bigger than 1/2". It would help if we knew what kind of water lines you have whether they be copper, galvanized, pvc or any other form of plastic. What kind of shower system are you going with? Also, with the tankless water heater you need to make sure your gas line is big enough to supply the large amount of btu's those things take.

Old 08-17-08, 02:10 PM
F
multi-head shower?

sorry it took me so long...other panics in life

The incoming house water supply line is copper 7/8" outer diameter. Hot water line leaving water heater is also 7/8" OD. Believe entire house is copper. For 1968 house, would 7/8" OD be 3/4" ID?

I can't get to the existing shower supply piping at the moment to verify pipe size.

Current plan is one overhead rainfall head, 4 to 6 wall mounted body sprays, and 1 hand wand.

Will probably use supplemental electric tankless water heater due to difficulties in extending the natural gas supply.

Old 08-18-08, 09:13 PM
You may be ok with what you have. The only problem I see is if you are running the body sprays and shower head you could see a big loss in pressure from running anything else. You do have 3/4 copper coming in which isn't bad but for a shower that size a 1" line to the house may be ideal depending on what else you have in the house and how far away the bathroom is.

You also may want to make sure with the diverter you get to check the fitment with trim and shower surround. Lately we have been plagued with diverter valve trim being very small and barely covering the holes made with the plaster gaurd.

Old 08-19-08, 04:32 AM
Here is a pdf of Moens multiple head installation. It tells you all about it.

http://www.moen.com/literature/pdfs/MF2816.pdf