Faucet leak

Old 08-13-08, 05:46 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Faucet leak

I have an older faucet in the bathroom sink. It is original to the house which makes it about 35 plus years old. It is a one handle ball type that gives both hot or cold water depending on which way you push it. Over the past few days water has been leaking from the actual ball handle and spilling onto the bathroom counter top. It is not leaking from any of the tubes or pipes below the sink. I am guessing it has something to do with a worn out washer? My problem is that I can't seem to figure out how to remove the handle to see if the washers are worn or if there is another problem. I don't see screws or anything obvious so I am not sure what to do. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thank you very much

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-08, 06:43 PM
Your description is that of a Delta faucet. A very common brand.
There should be a set screw on the bottom of the handle facing you. Let me know

Old 08-13-08, 07:11 PM
B
Faucet leak

I looked under the ball/tap and I can see a screw on either side of the tap. Is this what you are referring to. They are underneath the tap portion and not on the actual handle.
Those are the only screws I can see and until this moment I never even knew the screws were there!

Originally Posted by plumbingods View Post
Your description is that of a Delta faucet. A very common brand.
There should be a set screw on the bottom of the handle facing you. Let me know

Old 08-13-08, 07:33 PM
OK, First off,
Make sure you have the water shut off before attempting any repairs.
I am not familiar with the description you are talking about. Can you find any more screws on the faucet anyplace? Look in the back and sides of the handle. I don't think I have ever worked on a faucet that you do not remove the handle first. If you could possibly take a picture up close and from a distance, and maybe some different angle shots and upload them to a photo site like photobucket.com and post the link here. it would really help.
If you cannot find any more screws or the handle does not unscrew(careful), or you cannot get me a picture I will need you to describe the faucet better. See if you can find a name on the faucet.

Old 08-13-08, 08:33 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
If this is the Delta faucet I think it is then there is a knurled collar on the cylindrical portion sticking out of the wall. Be sure the water supply is off first and then you can unscrew the collar allowing the handle (and ball) to fall into your hands.

You will need to get a rebuild kit that includes new "O" rings and, I think, a spring or two. It may include a pair of new poppet valves. It has been a long time since I took one of these apart.

Old 08-14-08, 08:57 AM
B
Smile

I spent some time with the tap and I discovered that I could actually pry off a cover that is on the handle. Under that was the screw I had been looking for. After taking it apart nothing looks really broken but the O ring is quite brittle. I am off to the hardware store to get a new O ring and hope this solves the problem. The tap does not leak all the time. It can be stopped if you move the handle a bit. However if the kids use the sink and then leave the house I return home to find the cats swimming on the counter. Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. I am a total novice at this!!

Originally Posted by plumbingods View Post
OK, First off,
Make sure you have the water shut off before attempting any repairs.
I am not familiar with the description you are talking about. Can you find any more screws on the faucet anyplace? Look in the back and sides of the handle. I don't think I have ever worked on a faucet that you do not remove the handle first. If you could possibly take a picture up close and from a distance, and maybe some different angle shots and upload them to a photo site like photobucket.com and post the link here. it would really help.
If you cannot find any more screws or the handle does not unscrew(careful), or you cannot get me a picture I will need you to describe the faucet better. See if you can find a name on the faucet.

Old 08-14-08, 11:09 AM
Hello again,

I am sooo stupid, I should have remembered to tell you to try that. Sometimes when you are not there to see something, it slips your mind, Or am I getting old? Who knows.

Sometimes it is only a matter of tightening the bonnet nut.
Also, sometimes you will not find the correct o-ring and you will need to get a complete faucet rebuild kit.
Another thing to do is put some plumbers faucet grease on the parts to help stop leaks and lubricate the parts.

FYI, I do not think it is a Delta faucet anymore, It actually sounds more like a Moen faucet.