solutions for slow or incomplete flushing toilet

Old 08-16-08, 09:09 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
solutions for slow or incomplete flushing toilet

We just bought a home and the previous owner had "finished" the basement. We are on a septic system. The bathroom in the basement has a toilet that will not completely flush. The flush valve and float are fine, and the water level is less than 3/4 inch from the spillway.
What do you think/recommend? Is it perhaps that this toilet is too low and there isn't enough gravity to force a flush? If so, what can be done about that?
Thanks!

Old 08-16-08, 09:52 AM
Are you saying you need to double flush, or it just wont flush at all? It makes a big difference.
Not flushing at all could be something stuck in the toilet , a plugged drain, or poor venting.
A double flush would be an older poorly designed 1.6 gal flush toilet and just needs to be replaced.

Old 08-16-08, 10:26 AM
S
No, it flushes, but only 1/2 of the water empties from the tank. The contents of the bowl never completely flush. I can dump a pail of water into the bowl and it flushes fine. I really wonder if the toilet is lower than the drains that existed when the basement was "finished" and therefore there isn't enough gravity. The flapper stays up long enough for the tank to drain, but it doesn't empty more than 1/2 on any flush...successive flushes have no additional effect on emptying the bowl.

Old 08-16-08, 10:48 AM
Those are the indications of something being in the toilet, like a toothbrush, pen, G.I. Joe, or hairspray cap, OR a septic tank that needs to be pumped. If you know where the septic tank cover is, you might want to start there.

Get a GOOD QUALITY closet auger and snake the toilet.

I highly doubt the problem is with the piping in the basement, but I am not ruling it out.
The other thing to look at is the venting. Does the sink or tub/shower make any funny noises when you flush the toilet? Do any other fixtures in the bathroom act funny?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: