Acrylic Bathtub Drain - Plumber's Putty or Silicone?

Old 08-21-08, 02:12 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Acrylic Bathtub Drain - Plumber's Putty or Silicone?

I am installing an acrylic bathtub drain, should I use plumber's putty or silicone?

Old 08-21-08, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have never used anything but plumbers putty on all drains and never have had any problems. Except for the camp shower base that was so flimsy, every time you stepped in, it moved.

Old 08-21-08, 04:09 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I prefer putty. I put in a cultured marble vanity top once that said no putty, that's the only time I've used silicone.

Old 08-21-08, 06:51 PM
H
On the Oatey Plumber's Putty container, it states that "Do not use on marble, granite, plastic or any other dimension stone".

Does acrylic class as plastic? Maybe I should just use silicone and be done with it.

Old 08-21-08, 06:59 PM
I'm sorry, I stand corrected. I do not use putty on marble, granite, as per instructions. I did not know about plastic or dimension stone, which, I think they are talking about the new composite sinks that look like granite or stone or marble, but cost less.
Tubs and showers are usually fiberglass or acrylic and putty can be used on either.

Old 08-21-08, 11:22 PM
H
Originally Posted by plumbingods View Post
I'm sorry, I stand corrected. I do not use putty on marble, granite, as per instructions. I did not know about plastic or dimension stone, which, I think they are talking about the new composite sinks that look like granite or stone or marble, but cost less.
Tubs and showers are usually fiberglass or acrylic and putty can be used on either.
So it sounds like putty is ok to use with the drain for my acrylic tub... anyone disagree?

Old 08-22-08, 11:35 AM
H
I found this forum link that talks about my question: http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbin...ics-21470.html

In this discussion, Shader states:
"The acrylics used in todays plumbing fixtures are a whole new ball game. Petroleum based sealers, like plumbers putty, react with the plastics, and will at best discolor the drain or fixture and at worst cause the drain to break or distort. When only a silicone or latex sealer is called for, it should be used. The same applies to piping; don't use regular (petro based) pipe thread compound on PVC pipe. Any plumber that used putty when only silicone/latex is called for is doing his customer a disservice. I replaced numerous drains using the required silcone and never had a problem. Make sure everything is clean and dry and put a generous bead in the indentation where the drain sits. The excess will squeeze out when the drain is installed. Wipe the excess going around the drain which will leave a nice seal around the outer edge. Be sure and let the silicone dry thoroughly before using. As Speedball stated, you shouldn't have to "twist" the drain when installing."

???

Old 08-22-08, 11:59 AM
H
I called the company (www.aciflex.com) and the woman said to use putty. They should know what they are talking about.

Man am I swaying on both sides on this one, hopefully I'm not getting too annoying.

Old 08-22-08, 12:13 PM
Well, after installing tubs for 25+ years, I guess they have found another reason for me to bring my cheater glasses to work. I was not trying to give you any mis-information, but I did not know some manufacturers require silicone now. I have used putty all my plumbing career, except for marble, and now granite.

I am sorry for not being as professional or informed as possible.

Old 08-22-08, 01:21 PM
H
Well, after installing tubs for 25+ years, I guess they have found another reason for me to bring my cheater glasses to work. I was not trying to give you any mis-information, but I did not know some manufacturers require silicone now. I have used putty all my plumbing career, except for marble, and now granite.

I am sorry for not being as professional or informed as possible.
I'm going to try silicone, to be safe. At the worst, it leaks and I will have to then use putty. The drain is accessible if I need to do that because of the square cut out in the floor. Sound like a good idea?

Old 08-22-08, 04:03 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Yep, give it a go. I used an awful lot when I did it, I hope I don't ever have to take that drain out.

Old 06-30-12, 10:15 AM
O
***stain free plumbers putty for plastics etc.

There is a plumbers putty sold at Home Depot which is used when dealing with plastics, granite. marble, corian etc. Its a non oil based plumbers putty. It works just like regular plumbers putty and works much better than silicone.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: