Kitchen Sink Help

Old 09-01-08, 10:26 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kitchen Sink Help

Hi, I'm a total DIY novice so you'll have to stick with me on this one lol.

Basically I need a replacement part for my sink but I've no idea what it is.

The bit that is in the middle of the sink unit itself, between the actual sink and the drainboard, where you can run water down and it's got a mini drain. That bit yeah, well the bit that runs from that underneath and joins up to the main pipe.

I removed it earlier 'cos the screw was a bit loose connecting it to the draining board and was leaking, when I tried to screw it back it wouldn't hold, possibly the thread on the screwhole has gone.

Anyway please please help, what is this part called I need?

Thanks

Paul

Old 09-01-08, 03:24 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Are you in the USA?

I know sinks and faucets very well, and I can't follow your description. We have sinks that generally have a big hole in the middle of the sink bottom. That hole cut out of the bottom of the sink is a little larger than 3 1/2 inches in diameter. You can tell because even though the drainpipe underneath the sink is only about 1 1/2 inch, the metal trim of that drain basket that you are looking down at is about 4 1/2 inches across.

Now, that basket drops through the middle of the sink and is secured to the sink in one of 2 ways from the underside of the sink. Either there is a large 3 1/2 inch ring nut -or- it is held there by a metal plate that has 3 bolts going between it and the underside of the sink.

So that is the basket part that goes in the big hole in the bottom of the sink.

Then, the VERY bottom of the sink basket has more threads on it that now are only about 1 3/4 inches across. Connected to THOSE threads is where the 1 1/2 inch drain piping connects to. The first piece down from the basket is called a 'tail piece'. It is just a short piece of 1 1/2 inch pipe or tubing. Then the drain pipe continues down from there into a trap, or may go over horizontally for a bit. That horizontal piece of 1 1/2 inch drain pipe is called a 'waste arm'. Then there will be another downward piece of 1 1/2 inch piping. It may even be a "T". And onto that they would connect a trap (a "P' or an "S" trap), which is a U shape in the pipe to hold water, so sewer gases do not enter the house through the bottom of the sink.

Now, based on descriptions and terms listed, can you better describe what piece you have in mind?

Old 09-01-08, 04:44 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Could you get us a picture as I am also confused by your description.

Old 09-01-08, 05:04 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I keep rereading that post. The more I read it and substitute possibly wrong terms he may be using, the more I think it is part of a sink basket assembly lockdown screw underneath that is loose, causing the sink basket to no longer seal, and the plumbers putty is probably all messed up now. That's my guess.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: