Shower is SCREAMING LOUD...Help Please

Old 09-04-08, 10:02 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower is SCREAMING LOUD...Help Please

Hi All,

Thanks for taking my question.

I have a house (built in 1984 in NY) with 2.5 bathrooms and one shower is driving us crazy. Here is what is happening...when the shower is used, there is a loud vibration sound coming from behind the shower walls...note that there is NO noise or vibration if the shower is off (tub only). The noise can be reduced if we choose less water pressure.

I'll take any suggestions on how to eliminate the problem. Thanks.

John

Old 09-04-08, 06:20 PM
It sounds like a loose washer to me.

The problem will be finding it. Do you know if there are any shut off valves for that shower? Sometimes the problem will be there. The other thing to check for will be internal stops built into the shower valve for the purpose of servicing the valve. And of course there is the chance that something is wrong with the shower valve itself.

Any more info or pictures will help.

Old 09-05-08, 08:00 AM
J
Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply...

I don't think there is a shut-off valve near the shower valve. I did note last night that the whole shower valve vibrates all the time with HOT water and very little (if not ever) with COLD water.

What do you mean when you reference "internal stops"?

Should I take the valve apart...it's a Delta...Handle w/button & screw - (old style RP2391)?

Sorry to be a pain, but I really appreciate your help. Thanks again.

John

Old 09-06-08, 07:01 AM
If you take the cover plate off, after the handle, and you see a slotted screw on each side of the valve, it should mean you have internal stops. If not, you may want to take the valve apart and check for any problems.

Old 09-21-08, 07:26 PM
You mentioned Delta in your second post...

Is this a faucet with a tub spout diverter?

If it is, the diverter is defective and if you replace the tub spout, it will solve the problem. Pulling the diverter in the fully open position will remove the sound if that's your situation.

If not, plan B.

Originally Posted by jrharts View Post
Hi All,

Thanks for taking my question.

I have a house (built in 1984 in NY) with 2.5 bathrooms and one shower is driving us crazy. Here is what is happening...when the shower is used, there is a loud vibration sound coming from behind the shower walls...note that there is NO noise or vibration if the shower is off (tub only). The noise can be reduced if we choose less water pressure.

I'll take any suggestions on how to eliminate the problem. Thanks.

John

Old 09-21-08, 10:10 PM
Yes, that is something I would agree to check. I haven't had this problem in years, so I did not think of it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: