Changing Delta Shower Diverter

Old 09-07-08, 10:21 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Changing Delta Shower Diverter

I have a Delta Shower monitor which is leaking at the shower head. It is a single handle with a center black "dial" to control the water temperature and a lever on the outside to turn on the shower and control the flow of the water. Hopefully, I am explaining this properly! It is about 15 years old.

After calling Delta, I was told I needed a RP32104 repair kit which is a replacement cartridge. The problem is I can not figure out how to get to the old one off to replace it. I have talked to Delta a couple of times, but they have been no help.

I can get the black dial off but I can not get much past that point. There is some kind of nut in the center and I can not get that off. I am not even sure if it comes off so I do not want to force anything. There is also a center plate or cover which I can not get off because the lever will not come off and the cover will not fit over the lever. What I really would like is some kind of pictures or illustrations to show me what to do.

Has anyone come across this or have any suggestions? I have found a few similar questions posted on other sites but no solutions. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 09-07-08, 01:26 PM
J
Forgot to Mention

Just wanted to mention that this is a 1500/1700 Series Diverter Shower Monitor. At least that's what Delta told me. Sorry I left that off originally.

Old 09-08-08, 10:16 AM
J
Can you post a photo on Photobucket & insert image here?

Old 09-08-08, 05:33 PM
J
Someone at Delta should be able to tell you how to take the handle off..................

Old 09-08-08, 08:13 PM
I am familiar with the faucet you are refering to. I had one in my house and have installed many, and remember the brass nut you are talking about. I was trying to get a picture to refresh my mind with and to help you with and I looked at a 1700 series. Those faucets are similar,but do not use the brass nut.

Give me a few minutes to figure this out. Also, I do not think the RP32104 will work, but I am not sure yet. I will be back

Old 09-09-08, 09:11 AM
J
Pictures

Thank you to those that responded! I was having problems with my camera yesterday. But I plan to upload or link a couple of pictures of my shower monitor this evening so you know exactly what I am looking at!

Thanks again.

Old 09-09-08, 09:30 AM
I e-mailed Delta to see if they can help me find you an answer. no response so far.

Old 09-10-08, 12:15 PM
Delta wrote back and here is the info. Exactly as I thought. I just couldn't find it on their site.

[SIZE=3]
Thanks for writing![/SIZE]
I am sorry to hear that your friend is having a problem with their Delta faucet. Based on your description, the faucet is a 1500 series faucet. I have attached the parts diagram for a 1500 series faucet to this e-mail for you. If the faucet is just dripping from the spout, then I would suggest replacing the RP16208 seals. The RP28603 (new number) seals can also be used. If the leak persists, then the RP32104 (new number) cartridge assembly will need to be replaced. The RP32104 cartridge assembly will come with the necessary adapters to fit a 1500 series faucet.
You can use the dealer locator on our website to find Delta dealers in your area[SIZE=2][SIZE=2]. [/SIZE][/SIZE]You can usually find or special order Delta faucet parts at any dealer that sells Delta faucets. Some good places to check are plumbing suppliers, Home Depot, Lowe's, and other hardware or home improvement centers.
You can also call the toll-free Delta Help Line at 1-800-345-3358 between the hours of 7:00 AM to 9:00 PM CST Monday thru Saturday to place an order over the telephone.
You can also cut and paste the link below in your browser for online shopping.
http://www.deltafaucet.com/wps/porta...tor/ShopOnline
[SIZE=3]Please write back if you have any questions or need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Ron
Delta Customer Service[/SIZE]

Old 09-10-08, 04:51 PM
J
How bout sending him the parts diagram....
How do you take the handle off ?-

Old 09-10-08, 04:59 PM
I haven't figured out how to do that yet. But I do have it

Old 09-10-08, 05:08 PM
It was sent as a pdf but I had to download it and I tried to save and add as a file attachment, but it would not work. Still trying

Old 09-10-08, 06:21 PM
Exclamation Help with attachment...

I would love to help you out but unless someone can tell me how to get the pdf file to you, I cannot. I tried saving to my computer, and I have it, but if I try to put it through as an attachment, it says the file is to large. I tried to use Photobucket, gut had no luck as it is a pdf.

Any Ideas would help. If I had an e-mail address I could send it directly, but it won't help any one else reading this post.

Old 09-10-08, 07:27 PM
J
Send Jack a PM-get his e-mail address
Right click ( under send to ) file & save it as a zip file & e-mail to him.
We don't need it-he does................

Old 09-19-08, 05:06 PM
D
How to take apart your 1500 Series Valve Assy

I stumbled upon this forum whilst looking for a cheap price for the RP32104 cartridge and figured I'd jump in to see if I can help you out.

After you get the black dial off you need to take that nut off to get the handle off, you'll need a 11/16 deep wall socket...it's a standard thread ("Righty tighty, lefty loosey").

If the nut is corroded and difficult to turn you may want to spray some WD-40 on it first to help it come off. Once this nut is off you should be able to get the handle off by wiggling it a bit, mine has always been fairly easy to pull off.

If it's difficult to come off you may need a "handle puller" tool, it works like a small pulley or gear puller by putting pressure on the stem and hooks onto the back of the handle assembly...hopefully you won't need to do this!

Once the handle is off there's a serrated nut behind it which holds the cartridge assembly in place, you'll need a pair of "water pump" pliers (AKA Channel Lock type pliers).

This turns that same way as the other nut...once you get this far it should be easy to replace everything that's gone south...the seats with the springs go into the holes in the valve body, they will stay in place and have a small amount of "springiness" when pushed, and the o-rings go into the grooves surrounding the seats.

The cartridge should go in as an assembly as far as I know, I suspect from this stage one you'll be able to repair your mixing valve without too much trouble...if you have any questions please feel free to drop me line here...

K. Beer 4U2

Old 09-19-08, 06:39 PM
Don't forget to turn the water off FIRST...

Old 09-19-08, 06:43 PM
D
Originally Posted by plumbingods View Post
Don't forget to turn the water off FIRST...
Very true, one doesn't want to pull a "Three Stooges" type maneuver (LOL)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: