Cast Iron Tub Install

Old 09-07-08, 04:18 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cast Iron Tub Install

I'm replacing the fiberglass tub/shower enclosure with a Kohler Villager cast iron tube and tile suround. I've got the tub in place but I'm unclear on a couple things.

First, the alcove I'm putting it in is not square, no surprise. It's about 61" at the back of the alcove and 60 1/4" at the opening. How should I place the tub in the hole? It will be near impossible to place it tight in the corner on the faucet side due to the slab being high around the opening for the drain and the plumbing won't line up. I've already had to chip out some concrete to get the tub to sit level without rocking. Right now it's sitting with equal gaps all the way around, which brings me to my second question...

The installation instructions for the tub say nothing about attaching the tub to the walls. It just seems like I should shim up the gaps and somehow anchor the tub to the framing. I'm just not clear on this part.

Thanks...

Old 09-07-08, 08:27 PM
A
Should I have posted this in a different forum? Bath/kitchen?

Old 09-07-08, 09:06 PM
Sorry, but we don't always get to all question right away.

Usually in a cast iron tub you do not need to anchor it to anything. There should be a resting plate on the back wall for the tub to sit on. Then I would space the tub out equally so it doesn't look bad. Then put some shims so the tub cannot move. You could put some caulking along the bottom of the rim of the tub to help secure it from moving. Cast iron tubs don't usually move too far once in place.
Cast iron tubs do not usually come with a nailing flange. Once you tile it in and caulk around the tub, it will be perfect.

Old 09-07-08, 09:16 PM
A
Sorry, didn't mean to rush anyone, just making sure I had posted in the right spot...

I wondered about the resting plate, but the rough in sheet and installation instructions didn't mention one, so I didn't install one. However, the tub does have cast-in feet to sit on, so maybe that's why no mention of the resting ledge. Right now it's sitting perfectly level and it doesn't rock, so it sounds like it's good where it is.

I plan to tile up to the tub, but I think I'll run a bead of caulk where the tub meets the concrete once it's shimmed up, just as an extra measure.

Thanks a lot....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: