Gap in Corner Between Tub Surround and Bathtub?

Old 09-11-08, 06:38 PM
Gap in Corner Between Tub Surround and Bathtub?

Hi!

I bought a one-piece (rounded corner) tub surround (http://www.maax.com/en/Products/Prod...=8&Product=804) to use with this bathtub (http://www.rona.ca/img/product/full/2003013.jpg) which has square corners.

My problem is when I dry fit the tub surround with the tub there is a gap in both corners because the tub surround is supposed to go along the tiling flange. The tiling flange is about 1.5" above the tub edge surface so there is an exposed gap in the corners (because the tub is square and the tub surround is rounded at the corners. The exposed area is about 1.5" high and extends from the rounded corner of the back wall to the rounded corner of the side wall (I can take a picture if necessary). Is there any practical way to cover over this exposed area? It would take a great deal of silicone to cover this, so I'm not wanting to do this (and it may look bad too).... ??? Help!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-08, 10:43 PM
I took a pic:

What can I do about this besides take the surround back? My wife cut up the box already for the kids! Any ideas?

Old 09-12-08, 06:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
So on the back side of the rounded surround, it does not hang over the 1 1/2 inch tub flange? You are sure about that?

That what you'd be saying is that if you were to take your finger (if it can fit in there) that you could feel in, then up and over the tub's 1 1/2 inch flange? So your fear is that if shower spray water bounced off the top corner of the TUB, that it could bounce inside that curved surround and up and over the flange?

Old 09-12-08, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
So on the back side of the rounded surround, it does not hang over the 1 1/2 inch tub flange? You are sure about that?

That what you'd be saying is that if you were to take your finger (if it can fit in there) that you could feel in, then up and over the tub's 1 1/2 inch flange? So your fear is that if shower spray water bounced off the top corner of the TUB, that it could bounce inside that curved surround and up and over the flange?
Yes, there is a tile flange that the surround is resting on.

I'm not that worried about water working up over the flange in the corner, I'm just worried about the look...

What about trying something like "Bathfitter"...

Old 09-12-08, 07:11 PM
Bathfitter? For that?

Well, I keep scrolling down to look at your pic. And if you had not brought this up, and I was in a house and went into their bathroom and saw that tub, I don't think I would have even thought about it, in all honesty. When most? people see something that appears new - factory - something overrides in the mind to say that it has to be normal, I think. Unless it is something totally bizarre.

I don't know what else to tell you.

My mind would have just thought, if it thought at all about what I saw, is that they simply put something curved over something square, and that is what happens.

Old 09-13-08, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator
Well, will it fit down over the lip flat to the top tub surface? Maybe if you put an extra layer of drywall up? No, probably not, I see it has a stepped flange. Well, how bout some tile?

Either that or take either the tub or the surround back...cause the way it looks now is bad! Looks to me like you need a multipiece surround.

If you bought it from a Big Box, and have the receipt, they'll prob still take it. Happens all the time.

Old 09-13-08, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Well, will it fit down over the lip flat to the top tub surface? Maybe if you put an extra layer of drywall up? No, probably not, I see it has a stepped flange. Well, how bout some tile?
You are right, the surround cannot sit flat on the tub because of the tile flange.

Either that or take either the tub or the surround back...cause the way it looks now is bad! Looks to me like you need a multipiece surround.

If you bought it from a Big Box, and have the receipt, they'll prob still take it. Happens all the time.
I might have to return it to Home Depot. I have already glued in the foam corner pieces to the wall so I would have to cut them off the wall. The wife has also cut up the box for the kids, so I would have to tape it back together.

One good thing is that I haven't cut into the surround at all, knowing that I might have to take it back to the store.

Another idea (maybe a crazy one)... I would have to cut off about 3" of the tub surround along the entire edge on both ends, I wonder if I could use a small piece and sand/trim it up with my Dremel tool so it fits nicely into the corner gap, then cover the edges carefully with silicone. Would this look ok?

Old 09-13-08, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Bathfitter? For that?

Well, I keep scrolling down to look at your pic. And if you had not brought this up, and I was in a house and went into their bathroom and saw that tub, I don't think I would have even thought about it, in all honesty. When most? people see something that appears new - factory - something overrides in the mind to say that it has to be normal, I think. Unless it is something totally bizarre.

I don't know what else to tell you.

My mind would have just thought, if it thought at all about what I saw, is that they simply put something curved over something square, and that is what happens.
So you are saying that it is not that noticeable?

Old 09-13-08, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator
I don't think any modification is going to look right.

Dunno about others, but to me that is a glaring mismatch of componants.

I like the look of the tub, but if you put that surround up, by cutting or modifying, then theres no way you can take it back.

Don't know about your store, but just try to get the box back as good as you can, put all the parts and instructions in, and you should be ok. Did you buy both of these together at the same store? If you got assistance, someone should have seen there would be a problem.

Old 09-13-08, 10:16 AM
I don't think any modification is going to look right.

Dunno about others, but to me that is a glaring mismatch of componants.

I like the look of the tub, but if you put that surround up, by cutting or modifying, then theres no way you can take it back.
I don't think it would be a glaring mismatch of components, the patch would be the same material as the tub surround above it.

I would only take the tub surround back if I hadn't cut it up (and I haven't cut it up yet)

Don't know about your store, but just try to get the box back as good as you can, put all the parts and instructions in, and you should be ok. Did you buy both of these together at the same store? If you got assistance, someone should have seen there would be a problem.
I bought the tub at Rona and the tub surround at Home Depot...

Old 09-13-08, 10:38 AM
...cause the way it looks now is bad!
It be nice if more people online here would offer their opinion as to how you think it looks the way it is, and this may help Howitzer decide what to do.

IMO -unless the surround company only made that surround really for their own matching tub, they must have knew it would look like this on typical a square-cornered tub, and maybe at their board meeting THEY all voted on if it looked good this way or not.

Old 09-13-08, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator
I should have qualified my remarks I guess.

To Me...it looks bad. And any cutting, patching, and caulking, would probably look even worse. Opinions may vary. Everyone has one, just like "that other part of the human anatomy", and most of them stink, right? lol

I think thats kinda one of the points of this whole place..opinions. On which method is best, or whether this is the best product or procedure.

Didn't mean to offend, hope no one took it as such.

Old 09-13-08, 01:14 PM
Didn't offend ME.

It be nice if others would look at the pic and say what they think.

Old 09-13-08, 02:59 PM
I don't think you will have too many architects in your bathroom--most people will have other things on their mind
than the corners of your bathtub.
Stick some shampoo bottles in corners & forget it..........

Old 09-13-08, 08:41 PM
My wife's uncle said that if Home Depot won't take the surround back, I should cut the surround straight down at the two corners and make it a 3-piece (and square corners)... Then I would have to apply silicone in the corners... how does this sound?

Last edited by Howitzer; 09-13-08 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-13-08, 10:13 PM
If I can return my present surround, I'm going to go with this one:
http://www.maax.com/en/Products/Prod...=8&Product=774

Old 09-13-08, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by Howitzer View Post
My wife's uncle said that if Home Depot won't take the surround back, I should cut the surround straight down at the two corners and make it a 3-piece (and square corners)... Then I would have to apply silicone in the corners... how does this sound?

All those exposed screw nails & all that caulk ain't gonna
look very homey .......................

Old 09-13-08, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by j HOWARD View Post
All those exposed screw nails & all that caulk ain't gonna
look very homey .......................
I won't have any exposed screw/nails? I'm not sure what you mean....

Old 09-13-08, 11:06 PM
Go ahead & cut those rounded corners & you will find out
what I mean................................

Old 09-13-08, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by j HOWARD View Post
Go ahead & cut those rounded corners & you will find out
what I mean................................
Are you saying that the round corners will not sit flat and I would have to use screws and/or nails to hold them down?

Old 09-13-08, 11:28 PM
That's my opinion......................
You are playing w/ fire.............................

Old 09-13-08, 11:37 PM
I have a funny feeling that if you cut the walls at the corners, they will not make it into the corners. I am sure there is some formula out there to prove this, but it is p to you.

Old 09-16-08, 10:28 PM
Yay!! Home Depot accepted my return!

Old 09-17-08, 07:56 AM
Oddly enough, when I was out at one of our large mechanical supply houses yesterday, right inside the front door was a fiberglass tub with a one-piece fiberglass surround on it. The tub was rounded in the corners also, matching the rounded cornered surround. I looked at this and thought to myself how odd, that here we are talking about this.