Can't get nut off hot water line/sink connection...

Old 09-12-08, 08:10 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can't get nut off hot water line/sink connection...

I am trying to replace a faucet on my bathroom sink. Whoever installed the original did a hack job and WAY over-tightened it (and add to that some series corrosion). I've soaked it in WD40 & Liquid Wrench and it still won't budge. It's in a really awkward spot though (back corner of vanity behind sink), so it's hard to get the wrench with a good grip and then get any leverage.

Any suggestions? Everything else has been taken apart (as I'm also removing the p-trap, etc.).

Thanks,
Kristin.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-08, 07:45 AM
Are you using a faucet/ basin wrench?

Old 09-13-08, 09:53 AM
T
And welcome to Plumbing 101 for Kristin. <G>

In the end, I ended up disconnecting the hot/cold line from the shutoff point to the faucets at the shutoff point rather than from the bottom of the faucet once I pulled out the old sink & vanity I was able to get at the nut better, but even then, with it sitting in the backyard with all my might, the nuts wouldn't budge it was so rusted (?) to the faucet, it was impossible. Ah well, that's why I'm replacing it all anyway.

Thanks!
k.

Old 09-13-08, 11:32 AM
Hello

I don't usually tell people to remove the faucet that way unless I know that they are removing the sink also, so there was really not much more I could add to removing the nut.
I would recommend when re-installing the new faucet to use flex lines. They have a rubber gasket and don't need to be as tight. If you chose to go with traditional solid copper supply tubes, I recommend using plumbers high temp faucet grease on the connections to lubricate and help stop leaks. The grease is also great on the slip nut connections associated with the traps.

Old 09-15-08, 09:07 AM
T
I picked up the flex lines when I got the new pipes and all installed without trouble! Thanks!
k.