Toilet leaking

Old 09-13-08, 10:08 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet leaking

I have tried to install a Kohler dual flush toilet several times and each time after I flushed it a few times I noticed water seeping out the bottom of the bowl. I tried using 2 wax rings, flange extension with wax ring, and every wax ring combination I could find, Still leaking. I just noticed that the horn (toilet hole) is 3 inches diameter while the flange hole is 4 inches. Does this make a difference? Any ideas on how to set this toilet with a good seal?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-08, 04:00 AM
Please do not think I am degrading you by asking the following questions as some may seem so simple, but I need to ask them to help you figure out what is wrong.
  1. Have you tried flipping the toilet to its side and looked at the bottom for any defects in the base where the toilet meets the seal?
  2. Are you sure you are getting the toilet cantered over the flange?
  3. Is it possible you could have over tightened the toilet bolts and cracked the bowl?
  4. Is the closet flange solid, or have any broken parts?
  5. What is the height of the closet flange in comparison to the finish floor?
  6. What is the closet flange made of?
  7. And one last but critical question, Is this a two part(tank & bowl) toilet, and if so, have you checked between the tank and bowl for the leak to possibly be coming from there, or the supply tube?

Old 09-14-08, 10:50 AM
N
I have flipped the toilet over, cannot find any cracks or defects. Definitely getting it centered, I can tell because when I take it off the wax ring is in the center. Flange appears solid, and the flange is a little lower than the level of the tile which is why I tried 2 wax rings and jumbo wax rings and extension flange, flange is made out of plastic.
Also tried putting the toilet bowl (filled with water) up on 2 wooden blocks to check for leaks and no leaks.
The toilet is a 2 part toilet but definitely not leaking between the bowl and the tank.
Again, I am pretty sure it is leaking at the wax ring. It only leaks after flushing and only at the bottom. It seems to leak where the toilet horn meets the wax ring.
So does it matter that the toilet opening is 3 inches compared to the 4 inch opening in the flange? I have a Home Depot book that says if this is the situation then you need a 4x3 reducer?
Thanks for any help

Old 09-14-08, 11:01 AM
No, a 4" flange opening with a 3" toilet outlet is just fine. I think it's 2 5/8", but I could be wrong.

One way to help find the leak is to completely dry the area around the toilet, then put toilet paper all around the base. Make sure it is perfectly dry before starting. Then flush the toilet and look for the first sign of water. Secondly, if there IS a leak between the tank and bowl, sometimes it is not easily noticeable and might be running right down the back onto the floor. Be very careful when checking there. I have found many leaks there.

Just remember, water does not leak uphill unless under pressure, so if there is any wetness above the base of the toilet, I would be checking elsewhere.

If using 2 wax rings, place one regular seal down first, then place one with a horn on top of the first. This will keep too much wax from entering the toilet flange.

Don't forgrt to check all around the supply tube and valve.