Installing Faucet without putty plate and cover plate?

Old 10-19-08, 07:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing Faucet without putty plate and cover plate?

I am doing a kitchen remodel and putting in granite countertops. I bought a faucet that i like, but it comes with a "putty plate" and rectangular cover that I really don't like. Can I install the faucet without it? I'd like to just have the small, round look on the granite. There is a ring at the bottom of the faucet that is fixed (doesn't spin when turning the faucet) The faucet is made by "WaterRidge" which i purchased at Costco.

Thoughts? If i do install without the "putty plate" do I put putty between the metal faucet and the granite? do i need some other gasket or something?

Thanks!
Jim

Old 10-19-08, 11:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Don't put putty on granite. It will absorb the oils in the putty and make for a frowny faced day. Use the plate made for the purpose. It can't be that ugly. And alot of Chinese engineers spent alot of time figuring out the best thing for you to use.

Old 10-19-08, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Agree with the putty on granite thing. (Learned it here, TYVM)

But check your instructions, should say whether the plate is "required" or not. Many new faucets have parts that are not required depending on the number of holes and thickness of the sink.

Old 10-19-08, 12:25 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Furthermore, while you might like that Costco faucet today I can pretty much guarantee that in a year or two you will be kicking yourself for installing such a cheap piece of manure.

Old 10-19-08, 12:54 PM
S
There are faucets designed to mount the way what you are really looking for mounts.Modifying one that isn't designed for it will likely not turn out too well.Also I have to agree with the sentiment that buying an off brand faucet may come back to haunt and especially if you aren't planning on using it as designed.

I did a few minutes of google checking on the brand.It's fairly common and it appears that there is an actual company that can be contacted.I think it's called "Globe Manufacturing" or similar.I suspect it's an import company but it's better than nothing.You may be able to get some info through them.

Old 10-19-08, 03:32 PM
Are you asking if you can install this faucet as a one hole valve? In other words, if you look in the instructions, or on the box, it will tell you the type of installations that are allowed with the faucet. If you only have one hole in the sink and the faucet instructions say you can install as a one hole installation, the use of the large plate will not be needed. There should be a round escutcheon for a single hole install.

Do NOT use putty on granite, marble, and other solid surface tops. Make sure to read the manufacturers instructions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: