Replaced floor, now toliet won't touch floor

Old 10-21-08, 10:21 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Replaced floor, now toliet won't touch floor

After removing and installing a new (and much thinner) bathroom floor, the toilet doesn't even come close to torching the floor.

It leaves about 1/2"+ gap between the toilet and the floor. I understand shimming may work, (and I've seen multiple posts suggesting that) but it's allot of space to shim.

Is there a product out there that can help close the gap? (e.g.., cover the whole base of the toilet? Are there other things I could try to fix this?

Thanks,

Jack

Old 10-21-08, 05:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Is there a reason the floor is thinner than before? "Thinning" the floor down may cause support problems. The only way I see to make it work, except for adding an additional 1/2" to the flooring, would be to make a "stand"for the toilet out of 3/4" wood and allow the toilet to sit on that. Very unsightly and not a professional solution by any means.

Old 10-21-08, 06:18 PM
J
You are telling us that the toilet is sitting on top of the toilet flange approx 1/2" above floor? What's holding up the floor flange?--------can you send us a photo of this...............

Old 10-22-08, 10:06 AM
J
Maybe I've misunderstood the flange term. I'm assuming that is the piece that sits on top of the pipe coming up from the floor and used to anchor the bowl to the floor. I'm also assuming the bowl is resting on the "flange" and preventing the rest of the bowl from touching the floor.

In any case, I ripped up a tile floor and put down a peal and stick floor. That is what is causing the height difference.

I was considering putting a piece of plywood, water-proof carpet padding, or something similar and then caulking around it to hide it. Although the padding won't rot, I'm worried about the bowl being "springy".

I'm afraid that may be too much to hide and would look cheesy.

I've also seen posts talking about cutting the pipe but that would be my last resort solution.

Thanks

Jack

Old 10-22-08, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
No, you are correct on your terms. And the problem is exactly what you thought. The flange was installed for the height of the tile, when you removed that, you lost 1/2" of floor height.
Anything you do (plywood, shims and a big caulk bead, peel and stick caulk strip), is not going to look very Professional.

What is the flange made of? It might not be as hard as you think.

Old 10-22-08, 04:44 PM
J
If you finally decide to go " last resort"--drop by--we will still
be here------
Have fun...................................

Old 10-23-08, 06:12 AM
J
I believe the flange is made of medal.

Are you suggesting cut the pipe below the flange, then install a new flange?

Jack

Old 10-23-08, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Well, thats prob what a plumber would do. Depending on how it's put in, there are a number of options.

Could you post some clear pic's to a site like photobucket or flicker and link to them. Might be simpler for an expert to advise you then.

Old 10-31-08, 10:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Toilet floor repair

Sounds like a screw up. I've been there. If you don't want to rip up the floor and do it right and looks are not critical I'd make a raised pad out of self leveling thinset that just the toilet sits on. It would actually be pretty easy to make a form out of putty or something similar when the toilet is in place using it as a template, then remove the toilet, fill the form with the self leveling mortar to desired level and let it set up. You could even paint the sides of it to match the toilet. That way the toilet would have something firm to rest its base on.

Old 11-02-08, 06:50 PM
A stone dealer could make you a platform approx. 5/8 to 3/4" thick to match the profile of the toilet base, or perhaps have about an inch proud all the way around.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: