toilet leak on floor

Old 10-23-08, 11:22 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
toilet leak on floor

I have a toilet that is leaking at the base onto the tile floor. Twice I have replaced the wax ring & twice it has continued to leak. I have already checked to make sure the leak is not coming from somewhere else (like the water line) and just revealing itself at the base. I use the jumbo ring & set it to the base of the toilet before setting. The water always seeps out from the front of the toilet base and everything else is dry. Where could the water be coming from?

Old 10-24-08, 05:25 AM
J
When does water show, only when flushed??? There are a number of places water can leak, but what you describe does sound like wax seal. How high is the pipe flange?? It should be flush to 1/4" above the floor. If below the floor, you may need more than one wax seal. And use the type with the plastic cup. Also, check under the toilet for cracks in the bowl.

If this is a new toilet, I have had several in the last couple of years with pinhole leaks in the underside of the bowl. Just a dribble when flushed, and the first one drove me nuts until I finally found the leak. Had it off 5 times.

Old 10-24-08, 06:19 PM
Another thing to check thoroughly, is the tank to bowl gasket and bolts. Sometimes they will leak a little and run down the back of the bowl so it is not noticeable. Once it gets to the floor, it can run under the bowl or around the rim of the bowl and show up in the front. Sometimes this will not show up while testing, because nobody is sitting on the bowl putting pressure back on the tank, so when looking for the leak, push the tank back slightly to see if that causes a leak at the tank bolts or gaskets.

Old 10-24-08, 09:33 PM
K
kendon

The water only appears when the toilet is flushed. I do not know if the pipe is even with the floor. We had ripped out the linoleum a year ago & replaced it with tile so I thought the jumbo ring was enough to make up for the raised height. Should I use 2 wax rings? Do you just stack them on top of each other?

Old 10-25-08, 03:11 AM
Did you check what I mentioned in my earlier post? I have seen this problem many times. If it only happens when you flush, it will not be from the bolts, but can still be from the gasket between the tank and bowl.

Old 10-30-08, 06:28 AM
I
They make extended wax rings with more wax on them but you might also make sure your toilet is sitting flat and level on the floor before you install the wax ring. I found in my rental that the floor was unlevel and that was what was giving me fits trying to keep the toilet from leaking. When you have unlevel floor you can shim the toilet before you tighten the toilet down once the toilet is seated. The toilet should not rock back and forth at all.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: