Mansfield toilet issue

Old 10-28-08, 07:22 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mansfield toilet issue

I've been searching the internet for a solution for over an hour, so hopefully someone on here can help! I own a Mansfield toilet, the ones that don't have the flapper and a chain. It has the fill tube that slides up and down on a plastic shaft, like: http://mansfieldplumbing.com/psummar...ID=16&Subcat=7

I had some issues with the old seal leaking along with the brass ballcock covered in calcium deposits, so I replaced all of the internals of the toilet. In replacing all of this, I had to remove the bowl to install the new flush valve seals. It will not flush completely now. It will allow about half to two-thirds of the water from the tank to flush but at this point the fill tube goes down and prevents the remainder of the water to flush. This requires us to hold down the handle for the 10 or so seconds for it to flush all the way, and has gotten annoying after a few months. Since these don't have any chains to adjust, how can this issue be fixed? I apologize if this is overly simple or common, but I did do a search and didn't come up with anything regarding the Mansfield type toilets. I'm not sure what model it is, but our house is about 15 years old and I think it is original. I only found one post on here regarding my issue, and the person didn't replace the entire flush valve assembly (just the outer flush tube). One person mentioned there being two different diameters and they can't be mixed. I replaced mine as a complete assembly, so that issue shouldn't be it. Any ideas???

Old 10-29-08, 09:55 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
The link you provided indecates that the valve gives a 1.6 gallon flush which is federal code. There may not be an adjustment.

However, I would call Customer Service: (877) 850-3060

Old 10-29-08, 12:10 PM
J
Hmmm, now that I think about it I wonder if my toilet is even a 1.6gpf. I just picked up the only flush valve that Menard's had and it said it fit all Mansfield toilets, but after looking at the Mansfield website they have valves for both the 1.6 and the 3.5. Would a 1.6gpf valve in a 3.5gpf toilet have these symptoms that I described in the post above?

Old 10-29-08, 12:13 PM
J
Also, are there markings on Mansfield toilets that identify what model number they are?

Old 10-29-08, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Yep, sure would. And your toilet, if original is probably before the low flush laws came in.

Is it not getting all the waste down? If it is, leave it alone. If not, you prob need the other valve, or at least the part thats in the tank. That may work. I'd call Mansfield to see if they can tell you if they are interchangeable.

Old 10-29-08, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Sometimes there are markings on the inside of the tank or the lid, but they may not be much help.

Old 10-29-08, 12:22 PM
J
Thanks for the help! It won't flush all waste down, liquid or solid. It swirls, then some goes down, but the rest remains after the valve closes prematurely....thus an incomplete flush

I'll call them to see what the deal is.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: