cannot remove sink pop up drain assembly

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-08, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy cannot remove sink pop up drain assembly

I've read messages on this forum but still can't do it. I am trying to remove an old Moen lavatory pop up drain--everything is loose now. I can't pull the drain body through the top because there is a protrusion that connects to the pivot nut. I can't pull it down because of the "seat" at the top. Do I just use brute force and pry off the seat? Thanks for any help at all.

I have a new replacement Moen here and it isn't the same. The one I'm trying to remove is made of metal; the new pop up drain assembly is plastic. (is that bad?)

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-08, 07:47 AM
Some part of the existing pop up screws apart somewhere.It may be really stuck together and may have mineral deposits and corrosion that will make it hard to seperate but some part of that unit does seperate.Many screw apart right at the top with the exposed peice being the part that is removed from the rest of the unit but yours may be different.Maybe one of the plumbers will know specifically.

Many pop ups are plastic.Frankly these are lower end quality units designed to be low priced.Metal ones are still easily found and available but obviously cost more.

Since just about all of them are imported quality levels vary quite a bit but in general terms metal would be more durable.That said plastic isn't the end of the world and is corrosion proof.

Old 10-31-08, 09:22 AM
Question cannot remove sink pop up drain

If metal drain assembly is better than plastic, would you recommend that I just use the existing metal drain assembly and not try to remove it to replace it with the new plastic assembly? The faucet I bought is Moen Villeta (retails about $150 but I found it for $90) What would you estimate is the price of a good sink faucet?

Also I did not remove the u-trap--would that help in order to remove the drain assembly?

Thanks a lot

Old 10-31-08, 11:42 AM
You will have to disassemble the trap and drainage parts to remove and replace the pop up since they are attached and you may have to make some adjustments to length etc of the pop up by cutting the end off to fit.That is all part of the normal deal.

If the old pop up is in good condition and works properly and can be mated to the new faucet linkage then you could try reusing it.

I can't help you with pricing.Because the big box stores discount heavily and carry items specific to them to lower price points and because of sales,etc it's hard to know what does or does not indicate a good price or better quality item.

Old 02-07-13, 03:19 PM
I had a similar problem. It looked like mine had the "seat" at the top of the drain tube. But I could not get it loose. There are two large drain holes on each side of the drain tube for the sink over flow to drain into the down tube. I took my dremel tool with a cutting disk and from the top of the drain tube, I cut between the drain holes. I had the drain tube out in 5 minutes.

Closed Thread