Leak through ceiling from my bathtub

Old 11-07-08, 03:36 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leak through ceiling from my bathtub

Well a few weeks ago my ceiling started bubbling. My girlfriend poked it and water came through. Not a lot but it was dripping. So I worked on the drain because it was draining too well. Fixed that problem. Still leaking. So I re caulked everything in the bathtub. Still leaking. Now I think it is coming from the shower piping. We installed a new shower head a few months ago and now this leak. I think it is coming from more pressure in the pipes due to the different shower head. If I need to install new pipes we are going to make a big project out of it and install all new fixtures. Does anybody have any other idea where the leak could be coming from so I dont have to cut open a wall? I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 11-07-08, 05:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It could be leaking from the shower head connection. Did you wrap the threads with thread tape at least 3-4 times? Have you tried tighening that?

I'll move your post to the plumbing section.

Old 11-09-08, 04:21 PM
It is possible to split the brass fitting in the wall when installing a new shower head by over tightening.
Also, check around the shower faucet covers to make sure they are not leaking through. Maybe caulk them too.

To test them, pour water on them and see if you get any more water coming out through your ceiling

Old 11-09-08, 11:06 PM
T
Thanks a lot for the replies and moving my post to plumbing. I will head out and get more caulk tomorrow.

Old 11-10-08, 04:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Don't use "caulk" in a wet area, although I know you mean you are going to get GE Silicone II, right?

Old 11-10-08, 05:11 AM
In bathroom areas I only use water based Kitchen and Bath caulking. It cleans up much easier and works just as well.

I hate silicone caulking. Very messy to work with and clean up, also leaves a film that attracts mold and mildew.

Old 11-10-08, 11:35 AM
H
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
You can check to see if the drain and waste pipes are leaking by pouring water into the tub from an external source, like a garden hose or pails of water. If you have water coming through the ceiling this way, you know what it is from.

You can check to see if the water leads, valve etc are leaking by turning on the water and catching it in a bucket so that it doesnt go down the drain. If you have water coming through the ceiling this way, you know what it is from.

You can check the walls as plumbinggods suggested.

Old 11-10-08, 12:22 PM
T
Well I havent tried to re caulk the faucets but I did use the kitchen and bath caulk. I tested the drain and the bathtub faucets and neither one leak. I tested the shower head and thats when it leaks. Should I try to unscrew the entire shower stem and re thread it with teflon tape? I just dont want to rip open the wall to get to the pipes.

Old 11-10-08, 12:27 PM
H
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
You can open the wall on the back side so you dont have to disturb the tile. That way you can see whats going on. Its not a big deal to patch the drywall when you are done.

Old 11-10-08, 02:07 PM
Did you use some kind of thread sealant the first time on the shower head arm? If yes and the pipe is very loose, you may have a cracked fitting. If you did not, that is most likely your problem.

Do not over tighten the shower head arm into the wall. Just good strong hand tight should do it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: