Can't find source of water Leak

Old 11-13-08, 07:24 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can't find source of water Leak

I have a double sink in the kitchen with an air vent for the dishwasher. Last night, there was a clog and I noticed water was slowly leaking out form under our cabinet when the water was on. I don't know if the 2 are related, but I looked under the sink, at all the pipes, connections, etc. and found no signs of leakage.
I was able to fix the clogged drain by auger, but there is still this mystery water coming from somewhere underneath the cabinet. I'm afraid I may have to take out the cabinet to get behind and see the problem. The house is on a slab, single story, about 5 years old. Help...the dishes are piling up!! Thanks to whomever in advance.

Old 11-13-08, 08:09 PM
R
water chase

fill sink about 1/2 full, mix in food coloring till good bribht blue or red, look for water coming out as you fill up sink, (this will tell you if it is in the faucet or not)....then let the water out all at once, if you get blue or red color water out under cabinet then you know it is in the drain line.....then at least you know where to start the repair.

Old 11-14-08, 03:54 AM
C
Thanks for the quick reply richmond. I tried your suggestion today wit ha slight modification(since I had no food coloring). I turned the faucet on and filled a 8 qrt. pot twice so as no water could drain. The water was turned on high the whole time. No leaks were detected while I did this.
So we know now that the leak is in the drain line.

Old 11-17-08, 04:24 PM
W
Received 13 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Hi. Check under the dishwasher just a couple of screws to remove the bottom plate. With any luck you may even find your leak.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 11-17-08, 05:08 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Your leak is likely due to dishwasher connection or its air gap connection. There could be a blockage in the dishwasher drain line.

The only time I had an air gap problem was in a rental in KY, and the water ran across the counter while running dishwasher. The plumber removed the air gap and rearranged the plumbing to compensate for lack of air gap and to prevent backflow. He cursed the whole time about the Code requirement for air gap.

Dishwasher - Does Not Drain, Water Leaks From the Air Gap

Check with local building codes if you are a homeowner to assure that your plumbing is to code. If you are a homeowner, make sure you meet code. If the dishwasher airgap is required, you will not meet code if you go with the drain loop system and bypass the air gap code.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: