Toilet backup help!

Old 11-26-08, 12:51 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Toilet backup help!

Hi,
My downstairs bathroom last week overflowed and I tried to plunge it many times but to no avail. The toilet is a Kohler and have 2 similar ones upstairs which are OK. Anyway I read the FAQ questions on this site, troubleshooters, etc. i.e. pouring a bucket of water in, etc. I took the tank off which thankfully was easy unlike in the past The seal seemed to be fine, took the flush valve off & cleaned real well as per posts here. I think the brand is a Fluidmaster -- it shows that on white cap, then on the black Float Cup(?) it says: "wrc" Model 400A Anti-siphon. So reinstalled no prob. & toilet does eveything except empty. The water fills fine. I thought the flapper might have been not staying open long enough and tried to adjust along with the flush valve but thought Id go to Home Depot & and got a flapper, though saw all kind of kits, but wasnt sure if the flush valve is a problem, so installed the flapper,adjusted the chain, etc. & could tell a difference as it stayed open longer when I flushed, the tank filled very well but the water just never never emptied!
My question is should I try a new flush valve or is it more of a possiblity that it's a blockage? I really dont want to take the base off as my back is already killing me--though my wife is about to also kill me as we have company coming for Thanksgiving and I need to get it taken care of. Should I try the flush valve or any other idea before I call a plumber or roto-rooter, etc. Money is very tight & had hoped to handle myself but am running out of time. Any suggestions appreciated..thanks!

Old 11-26-08, 03:44 AM
H
Do you have kids? Any missing toys? Have you tried snaking it? You can get a cheap hand held snake at you local hardware store. I would try that first before you pull the toilet off.

Old 11-26-08, 06:59 AM
T
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
You're wasting your time on the upper part of the tank. Its a clog. Plunge, snake designed for toilets, and removing the toilet is the order of repair.

Since you alread had the top off - its easier on the back if you leave it off when removing the bowl.

Old 11-28-08, 08:23 PM
Unclogged--thanks so much!

Thanks so much for all your responses. I went to Home Depot,
spent under $10.00 for a snake as suggested and fixed it in about 2 minutes!
I realize that this is very basic stuff for you guys but for a guy like me who's about the biggest un-mechanical klutz-this was a great outcome for a task that I would have considered advanced and this makes me really feel good to get this resolved with your help.
What a great example of what this community is all about! Thanks again --Happy Holidays!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: