Stand pipe cracked in toilet

Old 11-30-08, 06:42 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stand pipe cracked in toilet

Hello

My toilet has a small vertical crack in the stand pipe going down from the top opening to about 1 inch from the top. This makes the water level go down to a level where the toilet refill activates - about every hour or so.

My question is: can I just glue, tape or somehow repair the crack in the standpipe?

Thanks

Old 11-30-08, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
If you are talking about the plastic overflow pipe which is in the tank, the best repair would be to replace the flush valve and flapper assy, which normally has the pipe built in. That involves removing the tank and replacing the tank to bowl gasket. Of course this is for a 2 piece toilet. As I said, this is the best way. That said...

It couldn't hurt to turn off the water supply, flush and hold the lever down to drain as much water out of the toilet as possible. Usa a sponge and bucket to dry the rest out. Wipe down the tube, make sure its clean and dry. Take some sandpaper (about 120 grit) or similar and slightly rough up the area of the crack. Use a sealant (I'd probably use Plumbers "GOOP", it's a brand name and available at most hardware stores and home centers) to coat the crack. Not real thick, 2 thin coats will cure faster. Read the instructions for drying time.

This may be only temporary, or it may last for years.

Old 11-30-08, 08:15 AM
S
If the overflow pipe is metal it is likely it has become brittle and needs to be replaced.It probably screws into the bottom of the assembly but well may crumble or break off if you try to remove it.If that happens usually the broken off part is so brittle you can chip out the peices with an ice pick or screwdriver and then screw in a new overflow pipe once you clean up the threads however if that doesn't work the only choice is replacing the entire flush valve unit.If that has to be done you can replace with a plastic unit that eliminates the issues with metal.This does involve disassembling the toilet and there are kits for the purpose.

Old 11-30-08, 09:10 AM
S
Thanks for your quick reply. The overflow pipe is plastic.
I too think that the best solution would be to replace the standpipe. But it seems like quite a big job - especially for something that isn't really "that" broken. It's actually cracked right where the clip with the thin rubber hose from the flush valve attaches.

I didn't have any Plumbers "GOOP". So I am trying an RTV sealant that I had in my toolbox. It's a muti-purpose silicon rubber sealant. If it doesn't work, I'll scrape it off and get some goop.

At first, I was thinking about using some bondo resin or duct tape or something else that might fuse the plastic pipe together again. But I like your sealant idea better. It's a lot easier and faster to apply.

Thanks again.

Old 11-30-08, 10:34 AM
J
@gun45
Hey gun--------I thought for a moment you were one of the guys on
the Nautilus that ran out & picked up all the Bar's Leaks to seal the leaky boilers
b/4 the boat went under the North Pole........
but---I guess you are too young...................

Old 11-30-08, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Yeah jH...I was in the Nuke Navy for a while...but a couple of decades later...lol.

Those guys are crazier than I ever was. Only sub I was ever on was when it was in the yards, and I was the Yard CDO. Think I still have a dent in my head.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: