Installing a toilet on new tile floor


  #1  
Old 12-01-08, 03:57 PM
S
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 329
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing a toilet on new tile floor

I have a bathroom that I plan on remodeling. I plan on putting the new tile over the existing tile. My question is, when I go to install the new toilet, is there anything special I need to pay attention to? Thanks in advance!
 
  #2  
Old 12-02-08, 05:37 AM
C
Member
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,946
Received 136 Votes on 109 Posts
Toilet flanges and seals are designed to work best when the flange sits on top of the finished floor. You can buy a flange extension ring and seals designed to compensate for a lower flange.

Tile over tile is going to add height that may be a problem in other areas. I'll let the tile guys comment about tile over tile but it doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
 
  #3  
Old 12-04-08, 09:16 AM
S
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 329
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cwbuff View Post
Toilet flanges and seals are designed to work best when the flange sits on top of the finished floor. You can buy a flange extension ring and seals designed to compensate for a lower flange.

Tile over tile is going to add height that may be a problem in other areas. I'll let the tile guys comment about tile over tile but it doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
Thanks for the reply. I too was concerned about tile over tile, but after speaking to several people, it can be done. The reason I chose this was because the existing tile is solid and level and will make a good base. Thanks again!
 
  #4  
Old 12-04-08, 02:36 PM
HotxxxxxxxOKC's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 8,034
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, tiling over tile is not the greatest thing too do. If the existing tile fails for any reason, the cracking will telegraph to the new tile and grout.

Is this on slab or wooden subfloor?

How did these other people tell you to tile over the existing?

If it HAD to be done, you would have to sand down the existing tile to remove the glaze and then use the best mofdified thinset you can get your hands on.
 
  #5  
Old 12-06-08, 02:23 PM
S
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 329
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
Well, tiling over tile is not the greatest thing too do. If the existing tile fails for any reason, the cracking will telegraph to the new tile and grout.

Is this on slab or wooden subfloor?

How did these other people tell you to tile over the existing?

If it HAD to be done, you would have to sand down the existing tile to remove the glaze and then use the best mofdified thinset you can get your hands on.
It's on a wooden subfloor. I was aware of sanding down the existing tile to get rid of the glaze. What thinset would you recommend? The reason I was considering this was to that the current floor is nice and level. Also, this is a smaller bathroom on my first floor.
 
  #6  
Old 12-06-08, 07:56 PM
S
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 329
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sandman512 View Post
It's on a wooden subfloor. I was aware of sanding down the existing tile to get rid of the glaze. What thinset would you recommend? The reason I was considering this was to that the current floor is nice and level. Also, this is a smaller bathroom on my first floor.
Just an addendum, good you point in the right direction for a good modified thin set? THANKS!
 
  #7  
Old 12-07-08, 07:36 AM
R
Member
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 75
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
We just finished doing two bathrooms in our house - I'm not a tile expert so keep that in mind:

I would not put tile over tile - you'll end up with a ramp effect from the adjoining hallway - seating the toilet will be a real challenge - you don't know how well the previous job was done.

If it's a small bath taking up the old stuff will be less of a challenge and you'll know it's right when you finish. If handi backer was put down maybe you'll get lucky and the previous installer nailed it down without thinset under it.

If you gut it make sure you use thinset under the new handi backer and install screws at each point indicated. The bath we just finished we put travertine down over 1/4 backer. Granted travertine is thick but even that height created a toilet seating challenge. It took two attempts with a tile wax seal and another plain wax seal stacked on top of it. Helpful tip on seating the toilet - cut a drinking straw in half and slide them down over the bolts - gives you something to guide the toilet down over. Good luck with your project.....
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: