shower knob struggle

Old 12-04-08, 07:38 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
shower knob struggle

When I am shutting off my cold and hot water shower knobs a little rain drops of water still come out. I have to really do an extreme hand tighten to shut off the water completely. Any suggestions on how to make my knobs act normally?

Old 12-04-08, 08:20 AM
S
The most likely cause is that the washers on the ends of the stems have worn down and need to be replaced.This means removing the handles and then removing the stems from the assembly in the wall.This could involve using a deep socket set made for the purpose and/or removal of tile if it blocks taking the stems out.they unscrew out of the wall like you are turning on the faucet but are held in place by one or more bushing like parts that must be removed first.Usually the parts are deep enough in the wall to require the deep socket set (plumbers socket set).Once they are out take them to a hardware store or plumbing supply that sells to the public to get the exact replacement washers needed.While you have them out replace all gaskets o-rings etc on them.Do both sides.There are many many possible washers so exact replacement is required and knowledgeable sales help will help you get the right parts,Examine the stems and show them to the sales help so it can be determined that no damage has been done from the tightening.If there has been damage they need to be replaced and replaced with an exact duplicate.Also there is a part within the faucet body called the seat.It may also have been damaged by the tightening.If the washers looks chewed up or the new washers either don't stop the leak or fail quickly then seats need to be replaced.You'll probably get some with stems if you buy stems otherwise you'll have to get replacements.They are removed with a wrench that looks like the letter L and is specific for the purpose.Again they must be replaced with the exact ones as there are many and knowledgeable sales help will assist you with matching them.

Old 01-04-10, 08:17 PM
S
Since I still have the shower diverter problem(water comes out the tub spout when in shower mode) and now this water leaking problem when the water suppose to be off, how much would a plumber charge to replace all three stems/valves(hot/diverter/cold)? Yes, I have the oldest fashion three knob type.

Old 01-05-10, 04:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Not sure what a plumber would charge in your area, but it is easily a DIY project if you are up to it. You can turn the water off to the house, remove the three stems, keeping them in proper order H-D-C, and taking them with you to a plumbing supply house for replacements. Let us know if we can help further.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: