Stripped Tub Handle - downhill from there

Old 12-14-08, 07:14 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stripped Tub Handle - downhill from there

History: It started out as a leaky faucet. Had more and more trouble getting water to turn off. Then the handle stripped (no doubt from trying too hard to turn off). Tried to unscrew the handle to simply (ha, ha) replace it. Screw head stripped out- could not get handle off. Used screw extractor in an attempt to remove screw (still hopeful that it would be that simple). Stripped screw broke in half. Tried to use yet another (smaller) screw extractor for screw piece.

Now: Have handle off (hammered it in half to remove!)
Used screw extractor unsuccessfully
Have nice hole in handle splines (?)
Still have screw pieces in spline
Screw extractor has started eating into spline

No doubt, more than the handle will now have to be replaced but HOW?

Do I continue drilling out the screw until none remains and then try and remove the spline?

I've tried following along on this how-to: Repair a Leaking Tub Faucet: Fit It Yourself to Save Money | Bathrooms | Reader's Digest but am stuck.

I realize the simplist solution would be a plumber at this point but that expense is simply out of the question. I had to scrape funds together to buy the small drill bit and extractor.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-08, 07:38 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would probably cut the entire stem in half with a sawzall. Then remove the decorative sleeve and spin the stem out.
OR
Heat the screw with a torch.

If you don't want to do either of those things, then continue drilling until you remove the rest of it. No matter what you do, make sure that the supply line valve is closed.