Tecsun Toilet - should I?

Old 12-16-08, 02:17 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tecsun Toilet - should I?

Hi,
I found this nice looking one peice toilet at Lowe's for only $145, but I see no rating for it. Because my apartment is on the lowest floor I need good flush capacity. The specs say that this toilet has a quite commercial grade flushing performance, fast flush 3" wide flush valve, 2 1/8" fully glazed passage way, and siphon jet flushing action. I have no idea what any of this means but sounds goods. Also, I think this toilet is made in china because the brochure says it is of vitreous china siphonic. In googling their web page, I found that the company originally made bamboo floors and is now expanding into manufacturing plumbing.

Am I risking buying a toilet that may breakdown in the end? I hate cleaning toilet bowls and I really like the one peice, but I dont want to spend too much money on a toilet. Should I just get the better know American standard for the same price?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-08, 07:23 PM
First off, it shouldn't matter if you are in the basement or the 100th floor if the plumbing is correct.

I have not heard of that brand but it may be something that is Lowes specific, like glacier bay is to Home Depot.

Vitreous china is what it is made of..

Hate to say it, but am no help in how dependable this toilet is, but I can tell you American Standard is not always the best either. Give it a shot. Worst case scenario, return it to Lowes.

Old 12-18-08, 11:36 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
Vitreous china means fired clay construction. All toilets except the stainless steel units in prisons are made of vitreous china.

Commercial grade flushing performance means nothing, it is just advertising.

Three inch flush valve is becoming the norm. This is the flapper at the bottom of the tank that allows the water to flow from the tank to the bowl when you push the flush lever.

2 1/8" fully glazed passage way, and siphon jet flushing action is also pretty much the norm these days. The siphon jet flushing action means there is a (fairly) large hole at the bottom of the bowl that shoots water directly from the tank to the bowl outlet to both stir up the solid waste and to cause the siphon action to start more quickly.

However, what really matters is the workmanship in building these toilets. ALL china toilets are hand made and one-piece toilets are harder to make than two-piece toilets. Quality control is very important when it comes to toilets and many manufacturers have a less-than-stellar rating in this department. All that said, $145 is a fairly low price for a one-piece toilet.

Old 05-05-09, 11:41 AM
C
Calcanuck

I recently purchased 3 Tecsun Siphonic units . I had not heard of them before I went to Lowe's but acted on the recommendation of the sales person. I have always found Lowe's to be a good supplyer to deal with.
Having said that, I am very pleased with these toilets. The workmanship is excellent and the action of the flush is very good. They use only 1.4 gallons of water per flush. Such a saving means that they will pay for themselves over the life of the unit. Calcanuck

Old 05-05-09, 04:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
they may flush good but they have not been proven as good quality. nothing from china is "good" quality in my opinion.

Old 06-18-10, 10:46 AM
B
Originally Posted by Bluefairy View Post
Hi,
I found this nice looking one peice toilet at Lowe's for only $145, but I see no rating for it. Because my apartment is on the lowest floor I need good flush capacity. The specs say that this toilet has a quite commercial grade flushing performance, fast flush 3" wide flush valve, 2 1/8" fully glazed passage way, and siphon jet flushing action. I have no idea what any of this means but sounds goods. Also, I think this toilet is made in china because the brochure says it is of vitreous china siphonic. In googling their web page, I found that the company originally made bamboo floors and is now expanding into manufacturing plumbing.

Am I risking buying a toilet that may breakdown in the end? I hate cleaning toilet bowls and I really like the one peice, but I dont want to spend too much money on a toilet. Should I just get the better know American standard for the same price?
I purchased my Tecsun one piece 1.5yrs ago and its still running like a champ. My wife and i installed it ourselves with out a problem. The toilet also come with the wax ring and a cool slow drop toilet seat. Tecsun sells replacement parts for my toilet, and they said a company called***** sell compatible parts for it also. I have a Kohler in my master bedroom that i paid almost 400 for, but my Tecsun performs just as well. I highly recommend this toilets to any homeowners with a remodeling budget.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 06-18-10 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Company name removed. Advertising not allowed.