Shower head pipe..?

Old 12-22-08, 10:11 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower head pipe..?

Hi, the pipe coming out of the wall to my shower has corroded and snapped off. I don't have a piece to bite on to to get the part out that's threaded into the wall... Is there an easy way to get the leftover threaded part out of the wall???
Thanks
Paul

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-08, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator
They make something called an inside pipe remover. Different types, but most of them are tapped into the leftover pipe and bite in as they are turned to remove the old piece.
Some have a little cam that grips as it is turned, some are like an easy out for screws.

I've had to use a cutoff hacksaw blade to cut a small groove on the inside of the snapped pipe and then bend and twist the old part out. Can damage the threads that way if yer not very careful though.

Maybe the Plumber Pro's have other methods.

Old 12-22-08, 10:25 AM
I was thinking of something like that. Like an easy out that you use to get screws out when the heads bust off... Where would one go, and what would I ask for? An easy out for a pipe?

Old 12-22-08, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator
Most any good Hardware store or Plumbing supply. The supply store may have the Pro models, Hardware more for the rest of us. Home centers used to carry a limited amount.

Just ask for an "inside pipe remover" or "inside pipe wrench" and describe the problem. Most places should know what you need.

Heres a pic of one type that I know of.
Superior Tool at Lowe's: 1/2" Internal Pipe Wrench

Old 12-22-08, 10:38 AM
Thanks Gunguy! I'm heading to Lowe's today, I'll scope one out! I'll letcha know how I make out. I was told prior that I had to bend the inside pipe up and peel it out like the opener for a can of sardines... I didn't feel comfortable beating the snot out of the pipe and risking damage to the threads! I hope this works!!! (fingers crossed...) Paul

Old 01-02-09, 05:46 AM
Woah Baby!!! I went to Lowe's and found one of these internal pipe wrenches. They're over with the pipe cutters. A few tries at it and I managed to lock it in place on the stuck piece. Lo and behold, the thing twisted right out! Great job gunguy! The new shower head and pipe are now installed and working like a champ!

Old 01-02-09, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator
Glad it worked out (heh heh, "worked out", get it?) for ya. Another example of right tool for the job.