Suggest a good affordable tall toilet please

Old 12-23-08, 06:37 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Suggest a good affordable tall toilet please

The final item i need for my bathroom remodel is a toilet. I don't care too much about the style or anything... as long as it isn't too large and ugly.

I would like to have the taller seat as I'm 6'6" and I want good flushing abilities which i believe means I should be looking for a 3" trapway(?).

Anyone have any good suggestions?

Old 12-23-08, 06:58 PM
T
Go to a plumbing supply store to shop and discuss toilet performance issues. This is usually where you find the best quality products. Then, go to a big box store and quiz. Likely you will find no performance ratings there, but hopefully you will get them at the local plumbing supply if they are savvy.

You can Google for toilet performance ratings online if looking for the best. If price is an issue and budget and issue, all toilets sold in the US will work. Some just perform better than others.

Keep in mind that all major toilet manufacturers offer good, better, best performance levels and price adjusts according.

Taller folks and aging folks prefer taller toilets. You don't have to descend and feel like falling into the Grand Canyon and you can more easily slide out of a wheel chair onto a taller tolet. These tend to be about 17" tall and come in round or elongated style. Elongated provides greater opportunities for hygiene and guys love them. So do housekeepers and wives because guys can better hit the target when standing.

Could you explain a 3-way toilet trap to a non-plumber?

Old 12-23-08, 09:27 PM
A
Home depot actually has flush ratings... I did find one there that seemed cheap with a 10 flush rating and is a 17" seat. I wasn't sure if homedepot was a good place to buy from or not... I believe a 3" (not 3 way) trapway refers to the diameter(?) of where the waist goes... so a 3" (as opposed to 2.xx") allows for bigger waste items with no restrictions... I"m totally guessing on that though

Old 12-23-08, 09:53 PM
T
If you are tall, you may also want to consider a taller vanity height. Go with a taller vanity at kitchen counter height so you don't have to bend over so far.

If you do internet research, you will find that ratings tend to vary among the raters. I would highly recommend buying all fixtures at a plumbing supply store rather than a big box. You will pay a bit more, but you will get top of the line and not builder grade.

Old 12-24-08, 11:39 AM
R
I bought an American Standard Champion toilet for the upstairs bathroom. Got it before I started reading the reviews. The toilet works like a champ! I'd like to think that the bad reviews were for the first champions. I also have a TOTO Carusoe that performs very, very poorly. Would need to change my diet for it to work properly.

Old 12-24-08, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I believe Chandler mentioned in another post that he has the $130 tall Glacier Bay model from HD and he was pretty happy with it. May have been a one piece though.

Probably can't get much less expensive.

http://forum.doityourself.com/toilet...y-toilets.html

Old 12-24-08, 05:19 PM
My customers have run into a few problems with the American standard Champion, but it was the only reasonably priced one my landlord would let me get, and I have had no problems with it so far. About 8 months.

I have not had bad luck or heard any problems with Toto so far.

I usually only use Glacier Bay for slumlord toilets

Old 12-24-08, 05:21 PM
Oh yeah,

They all manage to flush those ping pong balls when doing a display

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: