low water pressure after changing shower knobs

Old 12-26-08, 12:56 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
low water pressure after changing shower knobs

This may be already posted, sorry if it is, but here goes:
A while back, I changed my shower handles. I've changed faucets before, but never a shower. It took me forever to line up the way the new one seats into the pipe to get my water to actually turn off when the handle was in the "off" position. I was so tired of messing with it, that I didn't bother with the fact that the hot water knob when on max, has VERY low water pressure. I didn't change the shower head and the cold pressure is normal. 2 things that may help in diagnosing what I've probably done wrong: 1. the more I tightened the hot water handle to the pipe, the less water would flow out of the shower head 2. the handle turns the water on and off, but will keep going around instead of stopping at the off or max position.
I would really like to try to fix it if it's not something major...has anyone had a similar experience? Any advice would be apreciated!

Old 12-26-08, 03:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You just changed the knobs? I think it is a little deeper than that. Do you have separate volume and hot water levers? Have you adjusted the volume via the cogged wheel under the knob? Is this a pressure balanced control valve?

Old 01-07-09, 05:18 AM
T
Sorry, been out of town for the holidays and haven't checked back till now. There are separate hot and cold knobs, but that is it. The cold has normal pressure flow, but the hot really even sounds like there is pressure in the pipe that maybe the knob doesnt allow to come out? I tried putting the cold knob on the hot side, worked fine...but the hot knob on the cold side created the same problem - hardly any water pressure. Do you think the knob could be faulty? Thanks for the reply.

Old 01-07-09, 05:23 AM
S
Is the stem for the faucet metal and does it have teeth on it?Check the inside of the knob and see if the teeth inside have worn down,are not fully formed etc.When you turn the knob does it move smoothly or is it a rough feeling?Is there resistance?

My take on this is a mismade or damaged etc knob.No other reason would explian the same effect on both sides.

Either the knob is not fully opening the stem or it is somehow being obstructed etc.Suggest possibly trying a new set of knobs.

Old 01-07-09, 10:43 AM
T
It turns really easy, in fact, after the water is off - the knob will keep going around. Guess that's what I get for buying them on ebay...

Old 01-07-09, 01:08 PM
S
Originally Posted by tmelsh View Post
It turns really easy, in fact, after the water is off - the knob will keep going around. Guess that's what I get for buying them on ebay...
If the knob and not the stem keeps going around that is your problem and they need to be replaced.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: