Tub caulk keeps failing

Old 01-03-09, 06:43 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tub caulk keeps failing

After installing a new acrylic tub surround, I have had to caulk and recaulk more times than I can count! I have tried using quite a few different types of caulk. I thought I had the problem solved using a foam backer/caulk saver and PolySeamSeal caulk. The caulk seemd to cure and be holding up great. I was even able to scrub it with no problems. Suddenly the caulk started peeling up from the tub a few weeks later. It coincided with a sharp drop in temperature which means our bathroom gets really steamy and lots of moisture on the walls. I don't think there is a leak behind the surround because we had a few weeks with no problems. What could be going on? I'm so frustrated and at my wit's end.
Thanks for any help!

Old 01-03-09, 07:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! First and foremost, the area must be dry, I mean DRY. Once you remove the "caulk", wipe it down with alcohol and set a fan in the tub and let it dry out for at least 24 hours. Then use a product such as GE Silicone II. External moisture won't bother it, but if you have any behind it, it will fail, and will promote mold.

Old 01-04-09, 07:11 AM
M
Tub caulk failing

Thanks for the reply. I honestly believe I am not doing anything wrong! I have cleaned the area very very well, wiped with alcohol and/or Goo Gone and let dry out for over 24 hours with a fan being used. I've tried 100% silicone caulk, but it doesn't seem to stick to the plastic surround. Can't figure out the problem.

Old 01-04-09, 08:13 AM
S
Contact the manufacture.

I wish you well,

Dale in Indy

Old 01-07-09, 08:40 AM
Poly Seam Seal

Poly seam seal is the only product that should be used on any tub - it is a vinyl acrylic caulk that adhears well to both painted surface jioint to the tub and the joints within the surround. your cleaning methods are good - - use this product and it should solve the problems you are having - depending on the market you are within it is available at Lowes and Home Depot. use nothing less than this brand name - you can also find it a better plumbing fixture suppliers and cabinet or laminient suppliers - it comes in a variety of colors.

Regards

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: