Help with one piece Kohler toilet!!!

Old 01-08-09, 02:58 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help with one piece Kohler toilet!!!

Hello everyone this is my first post, and I hope that it is not my last. Recently I have started to do more work around the house and the bathroom toilet is one of the main problem areas as there is a constant sound of a small hissing noice indicating that there is water that constantly leaks out. This is for the K3385EB toilet.

From Kohler.com I ordered the value service kit because I thought the valve was worn and was not coming up properly. I changed the valve and put new rod and ball and NOTHING! Here is the pic explaining what I mean.

I ordered the valve, rod and ball because the arm is expensive, but I called Kohler and asked if the new arm is also loose, and they said yes it is. So Not sure if the arm thats on their is just messed up or is it something else.

Any thoughts or ideas on whether I should order the arm or what is the problem here? I know these toilets are expensive, we bought the house from the original owner not knowing much about this stuff, so I hope i can some info and help the old man with this problem.

Thank you

Old 01-08-09, 03:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Welcome to the Forums!

One of our pro's will chime in, so hang in there.

Sorry to hear about your problem. Beer 4U2

Old 01-08-09, 03:38 PM
N
Sorry about posting it in the wrong section, but thanks and I am hanging in here lol just had another "did you fix the toilet yet" by a family member

why why must this be so hard!!

Old 01-08-09, 03:39 PM
J
What you describe sounds like a leaky flapper valve. Did you replace that???

But when you start having those problems, it is best to replace everything, rather than try to rebuild the existing. Old age, water conditions, etc., often eat into the brass, causing problems that are not easily repaired.

Old 01-08-09, 03:47 PM
N
Here is the toilet as shown on a website with all its parts, we have the old style one.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/images...s-k3385-eb.gif

I am guessing the flapper valve is the equivalent to the flush valve and the flush ball both of which are fine because the water runs from the top reserve spots which i think means the water is overflowing. But the reason why i think it has something to do with the arm or the top valve is as I showed in the pic when you pull the rod arm up which pushes the white valve down, the water stops all sounds stop.

Old 01-08-09, 05:53 PM
IT sounds to me, what you are describing is the toilet valve does not stop completely, causing it to over fill. After looking at the pictures you posted, The easiest fix for you is to just bend the long rod holding the ball until it works as desired. It is possible one of the screws on the top of the ballcock is there to adjust this setting, but may not be adjusting enough. Bending the rod down so the ball is further into the tank is a common practice.

Old 01-08-09, 06:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NewbietoDIY22
Sorry about posting it in the wrong section, but thanks and I am hanging in here lol just had another "did you fix the toilet yet" by a family member

why why must this be so hard!!
Actually, I was blind and thought I was in a different forum. You posted it in the correct place and you must have read my first post before I edited it. It's been a long day....

Old 01-08-09, 08:21 PM
N
Originally Posted by plumbingods
IT sounds to me, what you are describing is the toilet valve does not stop completely, causing it to over fill. After looking at the pictures you posted, The easiest fix for you is to just bend the long rod holding the ball until it works as desired. It is possible one of the screws on the top of the ballcock is there to adjust this setting, but may not be adjusting enough. Bending the rod down so the ball is further into the tank is a common practice.

the two screws on the arm one is there to control but i have no idea how you are supposed to control it the other one holds the rod.

But previously on the old rod i did bend it and still nothing.

Old 01-08-09, 10:01 PM
From looking as close as I can, combined with my knowledge, I say the brown looking screw is to adjust the refill speed. The other screw I see is just to hold the rod in I think.

I would just bend the rod down to adjust the water height.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: