Slow tub; how to clean trap?

Old 01-16-09, 11:33 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Slow tub; how to clean trap?

Hello All,
I have a slow draining tub that I would like to tackle this week. The drain was extremely slow before I used a drain cleaner, now it’s just very slow and I know it must be clogged somewhere. I have read about cleaning the “trap” and wanted to clarify this. I am posting a jpg (if I can figure it out) that has the back of the bathtub. It seems that the tub flows through a “trap”. Is that what I should clean out? Can I just unscrew the bolt on top and fish around inside and take out any disgusting hairs and gunck? Will I have trouble closing it back up, I don’t want any leaking. Any advise would be great. Thanks to all!

Old 01-16-09, 04:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
It won't be pretty, but you have the right idea. Since you have access to the area, undo the bolt, remove the top and dig around. You may find a treasure!

Old 01-17-09, 06:37 AM
That is called a drum trap, and you will most likely have a very hard time removing the cover. You may want to pick up a replacement before remving the old one so you have a cover to install when finished. You must use a drum trap cover and not just a normal plug, it will not fit.

You will probably need to destroy the old cover to get it open. Good luck

Old 01-17-09, 04:04 PM
M
Thanks for the replies. Now that I know it's a "drum trap" I did some searching on the net. It seems most ppl recommend replacing it. Any suggestions on how to cut the drum trap out? Also, once it's out what type of trap do I replace it with? Can I use flexible couplings to attach the pvc to the current pipes?

Old 01-17-09, 04:25 PM
T
Before tackling the plumbing, purchase some enzyme digester drain cleaner. Allow to set over night. Enzymes digest the organic gunk. If you see improvement, repeat.

Old 01-17-09, 06:26 PM
B
i have decent luck with my own tub when it gets a little slow...get the wife (or someone) to "jam" and hold a wet towel in (over) the overflow of the tub...fill the tub half full and plunge like a madman..i have pulled up hairballs that would make you think someone in the house must be bald!

Old 01-18-09, 05:07 AM
I always used to just replace the drum trap with a conventional p-trap, but have found that is not always the best solution. Because of the type of venting that was used when the drum trap was installed, sometimes it is better to just replace the drum trap with another drum trap (PVC) or add a mechanical vent, (Air Admittance Valve), between the trap and main drain. You do not want a siphoning action to occur when flushing a toilet from the floor above, for example.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: