rotted pipe

Old 01-25-09, 09:21 AM
P
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
rotted pipe

Hello
The house was built in the 50's and there is a 2" pipe about 4" long, threaded on both ends that runs between the 'p' pipe and the wall + it is corroded/leaking.
Looking at the wall you can see a ?fitting that this pipe is screwed into. I cannot remove the pipe from the wall/fitting even if I strike the pipewrench counter clockwise with another pipe- it is frozen.
I don't think I could use heat, or a cold chisel to to hit the inside of the pipe counter clock wise.
It appears as though the old compression fitting on this chrome plated pipe at the 'p' pipe end is no good so I removed it.
Now I have a 4" pipe with some rotted threading near the old 'p' pipe end and need some advice as to what I can do.
This is a nice pedestal sink and the pipes are visible so I would like to continue to work with metal.
Can I just replace the old compression fitting and work backwards to the 'p' pipe figuring size as I go?
Do I use a plastic ferrule with a metal compression fitting or should I use metal?
Thanx for any help.

P.S. I'm curious about the future of this pipe at the end where it meets the wall.
Do you then use a torch or a cold chisel or??

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-09, 02:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
it soulnds like you have galvanized steel and the sink was installed by a novice. the best thing to do is follow the pipe in the wall to where it connects to cast iron, pvc, clay, or what ever was rain for the main lines because galvanized pipe is notorious for getting clog with rust and eventually leaking. if you want you can repipe it in galvanized. they sell and cut it at the big box

Old 01-25-09, 05:50 PM
I also have to agree with Dan on this one about the galvanized drainage piping. It is the worst and should be replaced if possible.

I am picturing a heavy brass p-trap that was threaded directly onto the galv. pipe poking out of the wall. Is this true?

If so, and you tried to remove the pipe in the wall, you may have ovaled the pipe and will definitely need to remove any piping until you can get a clean connection as a minimum.

I would assume there is also no vent for this sink and it gurgles when draining.

Can you tall if the pipe goes sideways in the wall or if it turns down towards the floor?

One more question. What is below this sink? A finished basement, unfinished basement, or is it on the second floor?

Old 01-27-09, 05:54 AM
P
rotted pipe

Hi guys
The pipe is above a finished celler but there are no access panels. The floor is little hard tile squares and the wall is tile with lathe and plaster behind it just like the wall.
I want to show you three pictures of this problem in my daughter's house so I can get a better idea of her options.
**Trouble is I used upload photos to Photobucket, click on IMG to copy them. Then paste them here so you could see the link to click on and view.
Either I have forgotten something, the site has changed or something else because when I uploaded the pix, I did not see IMG. I could see the three photos but could not get them here.
I have these pix on my desktop, is there a way I can get them to you?
Thanx again

Old 01-27-09, 07:28 AM
just post the link to the photobucket page and we will look at them there

Old 01-27-09, 07:56 AM
P
rotted

I'm sorry but I don't know what you mean by posting the link to the photo bucket page. I have the pix in Photobucket but I don't know the next step.
Thank you for your patience.

Old 01-27-09, 08:02 AM
P
rotted

I'm sorry but I don't know what you mean by posting the link to the photo bucket page. I have the pix in Photobucket but I don't know the next step.
Thank you for your patience.
By the way I just went to submit and there was a message that said it could not do so; the same message occurs when I see your reply in my mail box and tried to click on it. it just says explorer can't resond and gives reasons such as 'refresh' etc.
I'll try again.

Old 01-27-09, 01:11 PM
Just go to photobuckets web site, find the picture or album you want to share with us, then copy and paste the link from the top of you web browser on this forum.

Unfortunately, our web site is experiencing technical difficulties so it may or may not work at this time. Trust me, we are just as frustrated as every one else.

Old 01-27-09, 01:51 PM
P
rotted pipe

Mark
Don't ever apologize as your site has kept me alive.
Besides, pcs may be like people who catch the flu because a few other dependable sites are having problems too.
Sorry to be so dense about this but I'll keep trying.
I think you want me to go to the picture I want to show you (here is where I get confused) and click copy on the picture then come here and click paste in my reply.
Thanx again and I hope it's o.k.

Old 01-27-09, 02:02 PM
P
I think I finally got it.

Let me know what you think when you have time and thank you

Old 01-27-09, 03:17 PM
Looks like you bought a brand new pipe wrench for the job.

Right now, from looking at the supplied picture, you are tightening and not loosening the fitting.

You definitely have galvanized piping and you have 2 possible places to disconnect that trap from. The fitting in the wall and the fitting connected to the p-trap.

First, make sure the pipe wrench jaws are touching on the sweet spot, 3 points (2 jaws and back of adjustable jaw), not just 2 points (2 jaws), so you do not crush or oval the pipe.

If you can get 2 people in there and add a second wrench on the trap, to give more force, you will have a better chance. One guy lifting and one guy pushing down. You should be able to get that out.

Try once more and if no change, I will walk you through a few other solutions.

Old 01-28-09, 09:28 AM
P
rotted pipe

I asked my son-in-law to send me this pik because I was not there to see the job. He tried to turn it but could not.
I will tell him what you said about the position of the wrench and see if I can get over there to help. Between age and surgeries, I can't do much. Did some plumbing before so maybe I can help get it done. The pipe at the 'p' pipe end is the rotted end so 5he whole pipe should come out of the wall , right?
I'll be back to let you know and thanx for the help.

Old 01-28-09, 09:48 AM
Yes, you will need to remove the pipe from in the wall. I know it is tight, but two people working on this will definitely help. There is enough room on the pipe for two wrenches.

Once the pipe is removed, you will want to clean out as much of that galvanized pipe as you can. Then you will need to get an 1 1/2"male x 1 1/4" tubular adapter fitting. Along with a new 1 1/4" chrome tubular P-trap. You will never have this problem again. But you will probably have problems with the galvanized piping plugging up still in the future. The only fix for that is complete replacement.

If you still cannot remove the pipe I can give some instructions for a delicate removal, only used as a last resort.

Old 01-28-09, 03:01 PM
P
rotted pipe

I passed this information along to my son-in-law. I will follow his lead; he is busy trying to make the $ for the family but he willl get back to me soon as he can.
Your information is a big help in the decision making processs so thanx alot and talk soon.

Old 01-30-09, 11:27 AM
ok. what you have is a piece screwed directly into a cast iron "tapped" tee. get a propane torch cool gel and a fire extinguisher. heat the pipe coming out of the wall, and it needs to get fairly hot so the 90 most likey will pop off since i is soldered on. let it cool a bit and try it, if it doesnt turn then heat it again, repeat up to 5 times. cleaning the threads where they meet the fitting would be helpful also

just curious but with the pipe wrench where its at are you pushing down on the wrench? if so then that is the wrong direction for loosing it.

Old 01-30-09, 01:00 PM
P
rotted pipe

Hi Dan
I am going to their house tomorrow so your message came on time.
What is the cool jel you mention and does Home Depot carry it by that name?
I have not had a chance to get there with a cheater pipe and my wrench but will do so tomorrow.
Is there a chance there will be an updraft causing a fire in the wall?
1- both of us use our wrenches to see if 1/12 guys can turn it. I'll show him how to use the wrenches; I guess there is no need to turn one pipe against the other because first the pipe is in a solid fitting and second we can't get a wrench inside the wall. We should not be able to break the fitting wouldn't you say?
2- If we can't turn it we heat the pipe about three inches away from the wall. ?gel.
3-wet rag and cool it then repeat about 5 times.
4- maybe some penetrating oil 1st might help?
Thank you and I'll get back to you with results
P.S. The comment about the wrench against a wrench is not applicable here - you know when you hold a fitting with one wrench so when you turn the other th fitting won't break.

Old 01-30-09, 02:05 PM
OK, let's examine this a little further.
After looking much closer to the picture, it is possible that the galvanized nipple is screwed directly into a cast iron tapped TY as Dan has mentioned. I cannot tell for sure with that picture.
Whether the galvanized nipple is connected to a galvanized 90* elbow or a cast iron tapped TY will not make much difference in the task at hand.

But I am 100% sure that the P-trap is not soldered onto anything. This connection is a threaded galvanized connection so the use of heat will be very dangerous and will most likely not even help as you need to heat the fitting in the wall, not the pipe.

I would recommend that you just try to remove the nipple and trap 90 as I have instructed earlier.
Heat does help loosen old piping in general, but unless you feel quite confidant in doing so, I would not try it. I know I wouldn't do it.
Penetrating oil will most likely not help much here as the joint is not rusted together, but has a pipe sealant.

If you have any more questions just ask me, Mark

Old 01-31-09, 12:13 AM
ok ill go with gods on the if your not comfortable dont heat it. we as plumbers by profession have done this kind of thing a thousand times and there are more ideas like cutting it out if you have the right tools

the heat doesnt need to be on the fitting. all you need is for the nipple to expand and contract a little, breaking the corrosion between the nipple and the "female fitting"

Old 01-31-09, 10:08 AM
P
rotted pipe

I gave him the options so(now it is Sunday for a visit)as soon as I see him I'll know what he wants to do.
Thanx a lotf for the advice and I'll be in touch asap.