Acrylic tub install question

Old 01-31-09, 02:30 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Acrylic tub install question

I'm installing a Kohler acrylic tub in a three wall alcove, and have a few questions. My plumber told me to build a frame that is 16 5/8" high to support the tub (the actual height of the tub from the floor to the top of the tub). But in the instructions, it says to leave a gap of 1/16" between the tub lip and the frame surface, which would make it 16 9/16". Now is the idea that you want the tub to sit on the floor (set with sanded cement) and not have the tub lip touch the frame at all? What is the purpose of this? Is it ok if the tub rests lightly on the frame? Also the instructions say to lay a plastic sheet over the motar and the tub. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 01-31-09, 07:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Follow the manufacturers instructions. The tub will rest on the floor. I'm thinking, not a pro here, that the 1/16" gap is so the tub has some room to rest when it's filled with water.

Old 02-03-09, 12:34 PM
H
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
The tub is to be set in such a way that when the tub is filled, there will be no movement. Its important to have the deck perfectly level so that when you set the tub in place and squish it into the mortar it just rests easily on the deck with the mortar supporting it, and it sits perfectly level. The subfloor and mortar under the tub should support the weight so that there is no movement or stress on the framed deck. The 1/16" Kohler tells you to leave is between the tub rim and the deck tile so that you have room to apply silicone in that joint.

Old 02-03-09, 01:16 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Johnny hit the nail on the head. Don't build your frame to where it is the same height as the rim. You have to consider cbu, thinset and tile that will slip under the edge of the tub, and still have 1/16" clearance which will be siliconed.

Old 02-03-09, 01:32 PM
H
Chandler

As per Kohler's instructions, that particular tub rim sits on the plywood deck, and cement board and tile actually butt up to the rim (within 1/16"). Then silicone between the rim and tile. It has a high rim that will still be higher than the tile. I've seen some that install the way you describe as well.

Old 02-04-09, 12:48 AM
P
Thanks all for the replys...today we set the tub in the cement and hooked up the drain. I opened 2 bags of cement on the floor (I live in a one story townhouse), hand mixed with water, then dropped the tub in...but after wiggling and jumping up and down to settle the tub in, it still was a little high in the back, so I lifted the tub up and scrapped away some to level it off. I then filled it up with water and will leave it overnight. Mind you, the bubble is not absolutely right between the two lines, rather just a little left of center...will that be okay? Also I'm planning to put in a soap/shampoo dish recessed into the shower wall...any ideas on size and how to do this? thanks for the help.

Old 02-04-09, 06:31 AM
H
I then filled it up with water and will leave it overnight
I have heard of some doing this, however I don't. IMO, the idea is for the mortar to cure so that it will support the tub and water/people weight later on. Filling with water can cause the mortar to sink too low and create a gap between the mortar and tub when empty, thus causing movement and stress on the tub as its filled and emptied. Just my opinion.

Old 02-05-09, 12:26 AM
P
Thanks Johnny for the reply. Today after I drained the water out of the tub, I stepped inside and stepped around to see if there were any "soft spots," that I may have missed. Well it turns out there are a few hollow spots near the back end of the tub opposite the drain. When I step, there is a slight squeek and twitch sound. Could it also be that the tubs' rim is rubbing against the framing causing the squeek? Would it be possible to inject foam into the air gaps or could I reapply some thinset or cement type material? I plan to go through the back wall to get to the underneath of the tub. Any advice is welcome, thanks.

Last edited by postsy; 02-05-09 at 01:02 AM.
Old 02-05-09, 04:58 AM
Johnny, does the Kohler "rest" on the rim? I've never installed one of those, so it's good information. Thanks. I like the clean look of being able to slide the tile under the rim, but it takes a precise hand at setting the tub perfectly to attain that.

Old 02-05-09, 06:55 AM
H
Chandler

See the diagram on page 17

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal.../1084212_2.pdf

Old 02-05-09, 05:44 PM
But look at page 6..................

Old 02-06-09, 02:03 AM