Grout on fiberglass shower basin

Old 02-28-09, 09:54 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Grout on fiberglass shower basin

I also posted this in a tiling forum. I wasn't sure which one was more appropriate.

I bought my home about a year ago, and the previous owners had renovated the bathroom and installed a new shower basin and tile (I think they hired a contractor on the cheap). The tile basin is fiberglass and is textured. The problem is, they left grout haze behind and it's in the texturing and some of is a pretty good layer. I've tried regular cleaners, barkeeper's friend, CLR, and now a regular grout haze remover and none of them are making a dent in this stuff. Plus, I'm getting concerned that the abrasive stuff is removing the gelcoat on the fiberglass. I can't even get it off the smooth parts of the shower, though. Any suggestions?

What stinks is that they didn't leave any tiles or grout behind, so it's not even like I can replace the basin without redoing the whole thing, since my understand is that, to replace the basin, you have to remove some of the tile.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated at this point!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-09, 07:03 AM
There is a reason that Portland based products are so good! They stick to almost anthing, and stick good! I just don't see how it is possible to remove grout haze from fiberglass. The haze removers are acidic and may damage the gel coat.

Old 03-01-09, 07:09 AM
M
Can the shower floor be replaced without basically gutting the whole thing and starting over? Or is my best bet to just hire someone to refinish it since it's already screwed up?