Toilet Bowl Draining

Old 03-11-09, 07:49 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet Bowl Draining

After flushing the water in the toilet bowl slowly drains out. It does not get refilled from the tank. What do I need to do to stop this problem?

Old 03-11-09, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Slowly is kind of open to interpretation...do you mean over a few minutes or over a few hours?

If minutes, I'd probably be looking at a vent clogged. If hours, you could have a tiny crack in the bowl.

Are you able to check the flooring from beneath...any moisture around the base?

Just some thoughts til the plumber guys are able to check in.

Old 03-11-09, 08:15 AM
J
It drains in a few minutes but no moisture around base. Also this is second floor and ceiling underneath does not appear to be wet.

Old 03-12-09, 11:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
rarely will a vent be clogged without it being the result of another problem.

it sounds as if your drain line is restricted/clogged

Old 03-12-09, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator
Ahh...I may have misunderstood the original post. I was looking at another similar problem and it may have messed with my head.

I read it to say that AFTER the flush was completed and the tank and bowl refilled, the water from the refilled bowl drains out over a few minutes.

Dan has had his hands in more toilets than I ever have....

Jetmech...could you clarify?

Old 03-13-09, 02:49 PM
J
Draining

Thanks for all the replies....
It is right after the flush cycle that it drains...

Old 03-13-09, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator
Ok, so you flush...it all goes down...the bowl refills...then it slowly (a few minutes) just drains back out?

Did it just start this? Any changes to the plumbing? Any other issues with fixtures? Slow tub drain? Back ups..anything like that?

If you have an outside cleanout that you can check..take the cover off and check for good flow during a flush. It may be that you have a backup far enough down that everything goes down w/o backing up the toilet..and slowly drains through til the next time. I thought venting was supposed to prevent the siphoning in that case, but again, I'm no plumber.

Sorry for the questions...but I guess I've just never seen one do this. Dan will prob be back.

Old 03-14-09, 09:43 AM
gunguy. the toilet is designed with a built in s-trap so even the vent wont stop it once it starts to siphon, that is why it has to refill the bowl. the vent only protects the toilets trap from siphoning if another fixture up the line from it is flushed. once the line fills enough the toilet wont have a vent because it will be blocked from the back up.

i believe you are correct about it slowly draining out

Old 03-14-09, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator
Ahh ok dan..thx...now I understand what the vent does. And the siphoning from the bowl is clearer now as well. Just like when you pour a bucket it..it almost sucks the bowl dry, where a regular flush doesn't, since water is immediately being put back in from the fill valve after the vacume is broken.

After looking at the trap outline on the toilet...I see how it would just keep sucking it down if a drain line was clogged.

Old 03-14-09, 02:24 PM
yep it will keep siphoning until enough water has left the bowl and the air behind the water in the bowl breaks the vacuum

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: