bathroom faucet won't turn off

Old 03-13-09, 08:22 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bathroom faucet won't turn off

I'm not 'handy' but this economy is inspiring me to improve quickly: )--will someone educate me please? Can i fix this myself?

As of yesterday, the cold water handle no longer comes to a complete "stop". Water continues to run from the faucet. Thanks for any guidance you can give.

Old 03-13-09, 09:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
depending on the faucet brand and age you either need to replace the washer and seat or the cartridge/stem

Old 03-13-09, 09:44 AM
S
11 year old house and no brand name

House is 11 years old--faucet is original and on the cheap side--i find no brand name on it. Does this mean replace the cartridge stem? And is this a handyman job or a plumber job...or by chance, can i actually do it?: ) Thanks very much for the help.

Old 03-13-09, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by scannon1958 View Post
I'm not 'handy' but this
As of yesterday, the cold water handle no longer comes to a complete "stop". Water continues to run from the faucet. Thanks for any guidance you can give.
If you never done before, it might not be so easy. But, once hang-on, it's so easy for anyone to fix it.

First, you need to turn off 'main-valve' that controls a water-supply in your whole house. Normally, behind Water-Heater or basement. But, all depends on the way house built.

Making sure there is NO water running by turning on other faucets, such as Kitchen-faucet.

After that, you need to take off cold-faucet by applying wrench or screw-driver, or both. Do not throw away the one you took off. Because, you need to take one for plumbing supply for 'exact match.'

Then, you might need to make a trip to nearby plumping-supply, like Home-Depot. If the cold-faucet is older type comes with house built '70 or later, then you may need further trip, Plumbing-Supply Distributor that you can find yellow-page or someone who is familiar with plumbing. Sometime, Internet is helpful. Just type your Zip # with Plumbing Supply Distributor and the like.

Most of case, you'd better to take 'whole cold stem' to the Plumbing Supply, because there are many, many varieties of plumbing parts. In order to let a salesperson find an 'Exact Same part,' you definitely take off 'whole cold faucet' to the Plumbing Supply.

If there are any other questions you have, please let us know.

Old 03-13-09, 10:26 AM
S
Originally Posted by PineCone View Post
If you never done before, it might not be so easy. But, once hang-on, it's so easy for anyone to fix it.

First, you need to turn off 'main-valve' that controls a water-supply in your whole house. Normally, behind Water-Heater or basement. But, all depends on the way house built.

Making sure there is NO water running by turning on other faucets, such as Kitchen-faucet.

After that, you need to take off cold-faucet by applying wrench or screw-driver, or both. Do not throw away the one you took off. Because, you need to take one for plumbing supply for 'exact match.'

Then, you might need to make a trip to nearby plumping-supply, like Home-Depot. If the cold-faucet is older type comes with house built '70 or later, then you may need further trip, Plumbing-Supply Distributor that you can find yellow-page or someone who is familiar with plumbing. Sometime, Internet is helpful. Just type your Zip # with Plumbing Supply Distributor and the like.

Most of case, you'd better to take 'whole cold stem' to the Plumbing Supply, because there are many, many varieties of plumbing parts. In order to let a salesperson find an 'Exact Same part,' you definitely take off 'whole cold faucet' to the Plumbing Supply.

If there are any other questions you have, please let us know.
Thank you for spelling this out so well for me! Ill be back with more questions as they come up: )

Old 03-13-09, 10:41 AM
One thing I forgot to add is;
If you're a completely first timer to challenge 'fixing old Faucet,' I'd suggest you to go to nearby 'Hardware Store' where you can ask questions you have. Also, those hardware-stores have a list of plumbing supply distributor, then you are able to ask before wasting time looking for yellow page and Internet.

Also, you might need take a time during work. In my experience, first time is alway 'challenge,' because those 'tiny thread' you can NOT afford to screw up. If you'd do, you may end-up more money by needing to call a professional.

Good luck on your work!

Old 03-13-09, 01:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
why would you have a person ask a store employee that probably has no clue what needs to be done? i havent met a store person yet that knew how to do things correctly. at a hardware store they might know the parts but not necessarilly how to install them

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: