Toilet- unable to adjust float & rod, too stiff to bend by hand.

Old 03-13-09, 10:03 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet- unable to adjust float & rod, too stiff to bend by hand.

I am trying to adjust the float and rod in my toilet. The water is constantly running because the tank is full of water up to the overflow pipe. I believe I need to bend the rod holding the float downward to fix this, but it is really friggan thick brass and I cant bend it. I'm afraid I will damage the plasic assembly attached to it. Is there a way to remove the rod and float? It looks like it unscrews, but even that seems difficult. Would pouring vingegar or some sort of mild acid on the rod threads loosen it up?

Old 03-14-09, 08:06 AM
S
There may be an adjustment screw somewhere on the unit associated with the float rod that will adjust the angle of the rod however those type of features vary from brand to brand model to model.

The real solution is either your existing ballcock needs to be rebuilt/repaired (if you can find the proper parts which would require you knowing the exact brand and model of the unit) or replacing the ballcock with a modern version such as the Fluidmaster 400,the most popular ballcock on the market today.

Since your existing ballcock is plastic,the job won't be that difficult.Replace the incoming supply line with a stainless steel flex line while you are at it.Go to a retailer with knowledgeable saleshelp who can assist you with instruction and questions.The unit will come with complete instructions.

Generally speaking when things reach this point replacement is a far better idea.

Old 03-14-09, 09:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by nowwhatnapster View Post
I am trying to adjust the float and rod in my toilet. The water is constantly running because the tank is full of water up to the overflow pipe. I believe I need to bend the rod holding the float downward to fix this, but it is really friggan thick brass and I cant bend it. I'm afraid I will damage the plasic assembly attached to it. Is there a way to remove the rod and float? It looks like it unscrews, but even that seems difficult. Would pouring vingegar or some sort of mild acid on the rod threads loosen it up?
you need to either repair this fill valve or better yet, replace it with a better fill valve that doent have the ball and rod. the fluidmaster 400a is what most plumbers recommend and use. they are not very expensive and are relatively easy to install.

Old 03-14-09, 10:42 AM
N
Thanks for the replies. While I was waiting for someone to get back to me i got the rod and float assembly unscrewed and took it down to my vice and gave it a good bend. Seems to have stopped the water running problem, however you may be correct that the ball and **** assembly needs to be replaced, it seems to have filled up with water overnight. Not to the point where it overflows into the tube, but it certainly has risen since last night. I think for now I will leave it as is, untill it starts overflowing again. I have several other projects i need to tackle that are of higher importance.

Old 03-14-09, 01:42 PM
S
Bending the float rod is a way to fix it long enough to repair it properly,not a permanent repair.If the unit needs you to do this then it needs you to replace it.

Old 03-14-09, 09:09 PM
N
Thank you for your advice. I will make sure it gets replaced in timely manner.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: