Water supply leaking while MAIN is SHUT OFF. NOW WHAT?

Old 03-15-09, 09:26 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water supply leaking while MAIN is SHUT OFF. NOW WHAT?

I have been hearing my toilet leak for a few days now, but the basic solutions have not worked. the water main is shut off and so is the tank supply, but WATER IS STILL COMING OUT!?!?! How can I stop the water from coming into my house?? Do I need to replace the entire supply line? Please help! Thanks!

Old 03-15-09, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Sounds like both your shutoff valves need replacing. Do you have a water meter at the street..there should be a cutoff there as well. It may require what is called a "curb key" to turn it off...some are placed very deep and need long curb keys not commonly available.

If its up high enough, you may be able to use a wrench.

But when you say you hear the toilet leaking...is it filling up the tank from the fill valve? Or is it leaking past the flapper?

Both of those can be repaired/replaced..even with some water getting buy the shutoff valves.

Old 03-15-09, 12:38 PM
S
When you say water main do you mean a whole house shut off valve in your plumbing or do you mean at the street?If the valve at the street won't shut off then you need to contact whoever you pay your water bill to as it is their responsibility.

"Curb Key" is more commonly known as "Street Key" and if you do need a deep one and are not in an area where they are commonly used and carried then you may be able to have one ordered for you through Ace Hardware.This is dependant upon whether it is carried in the warehouse serving the stores near you as items like this have regional popularity.Talk to the saleshelp.

Otherwise you have what is a fairly common situation of some valves that either need repair or replacement.

Old 03-15-09, 02:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
spdavid, "street key" and "curb key" may be the same but i dont think so since a "street key" in my area is a different animal from a "curb key".

google wont even take me to a plumbing related site when searching for "street key".

this is what we call a "street key"

this is what we call a "curb key"

Old 03-15-09, 04:02 PM
S
Here your curb key is a street key and the other item is not used.

Nobody here would know what the term curb key meant.

Old 03-15-09, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
And 60 miles down the road in Hampton Roads, its just the opposite..lol. Thats why I used the term I did..its how I learned it.

Old 03-15-09, 05:44 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Speaking of deep meters, I replaced a PRV for my SIL in Denver. Man, talk about deep!! Pulled the cover off and it echoed!. Good thing they had the radio reader attached to it, as it would have taken binoculars to read the dial. Curb key was a monster compared to ours.

Old 03-16-09, 02:18 AM
i am glad our meters are never more than 2' deep

Old 03-16-09, 11:52 AM
S
If it had a regular handle I could turn mine off with my bare hands LOL

It's all about the frost level.

Wonder how deep they are in Alaska?

Old 03-16-09, 11:59 AM
from what i have seen most cold climates have basements and that is where the meters are usually located

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: