Clogged sink causing leak

Old 03-16-09, 04:30 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Clogged sink causing leak

About a week ago my housemates and I noticed puddles of water in several areas on the first floor of our house. The water was coming up between the boards in most areas when you stepped there. It began the same day that the snow outside began to melt, so we thought it was coming from outside. Our landlord came over and discovered that the kitchen sink was clogged, and said that this was causing the leak. There is some water underneath the sink in the cabinet, but there is no visible leak when the sink is on. My question is whether or not a clogged sink can even cause a leak this bad, and if so, where would the leak be located because it is not directly underneath the sink. The landlord is telling us that it is our responsibility because we caused the clog and we are responsible for the damages. I know very little about plumbing and I just want to make sure my landlord is not ripping me off, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 03-17-09, 04:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Given the choice of owning up to fixing a problem or passing it off to someone else, what would you do? Is your sink clogged? It would be fairly obvious as the water wouldn't drain. Yes, a clogged drain can cause a leak in the joints above the clog if left to sit for a long time. Did he clear the clog? Did you clear the clog? A leak in the drain would probably leave a wet shelf in the cabinet. Left for a really long time, it could conceivably flow over the back or front of the cabinet shelf and into and under the flooring. Since there are more than one of you in the unit, find out answers to help your side of the argument, call in a plumber to verify the problem on a professional level and have him document what he finds. Then you can confront your landlord with the results and hopefully get a better answer.

Old 03-17-09, 12:11 PM
yes as chandler said call a professional and have them document their findings. usually if a clog causes a leak the pipe was either not installed properly or was in need of repair before the clog happened.

Old 03-18-09, 02:22 PM
C
Thanks for the replies, we have had issues with the sink clogging since we moved into the house, and it is possible that this particular time the sink had been clogged for over a week. We cleared the clog ourselves with a plunger, and the water drains fine. The sink has been unclogged, and not used for about five days now, but water is still coming up underneath the floorboards and the puddles of water on the first floor are still growing. We have a plumber coming tomorrow to check out the situation, and hopefully he will have some good news. thanks for the help!

Old 03-18-09, 10:23 PM
if the water continues to flow then ill bet anything that there is a water leak under the floor/slab and has found its way to the surface

Old 03-19-09, 05:11 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I agree. That much water would show on the surface long before it soaked under the flooring, and you would would/should notice it before it became such a problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: