Bathroom faucet wrong hole type, help!

Old 03-19-09, 05:19 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Bathroom faucet wrong hole type, help!

I wanted to install a new bathroom faucet and the old one looked like a one center hole model so that is what I got. But when I got down there to remove the old faucet I found a small center hole and two wider holes on either side. I know everyone’s knee jerk reaction to this situation is to buy a new one with the right hole configuration but I found this little note on the internet and I want to see if I can make it work somehow:

You will need to purchase a faucet that matches your particular hole pattern. It is not recommended that you try drilling holes in your sink or try to make a spread set fit in a 4 inch configuration. One exception to this rule, however, can be made for some single hole faucets that are designed with a wide base that will cover the extra holes in a 4-inch configuration.

The faucet is a Price Pfister Ashfield and has a wide mount plate or a single hole plate. The hot and cold lines on the faucet come down in the middle of the faucet but they are flexible metal (just like good supply lines) and I can spread them wide enough to fit them down the two side holes only putting the faucet bolt down the small center hole. The problem is that I think the hot water hose is getting pinched and restricting flow. Is there any way I can fix this and make the faucet fit the sink, or make the sink fit the faucet? The small center hole is just begging me to widen it! The sink is 30 some years old and I’m not sure of what material. It looks like porcelain on top and on the underside is black.
I got this faucet on a great deal brand new so just returning it to the store is not an option. Sorry if I did not use correct terminology, I’m a novice. Any help would be great!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-09, 06:45 AM
S
It sounds like the sink is porcelain coated cast iron or steel which would be very difficult to widen the hole in.Not impossible but very tough for someone to do with regular home owner tools.

I'm sorry to say that you really just need a proper faucet for the sink.what this sink requires is actually the most common by far faucet size and design.Probably 80-90% of all bathroom faucets would fit it.

Old 03-20-09, 02:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
if you have a plate with the faucet that covers the other holes you should be able to get all the lines into the center hole as long as it is 1 1/8" to 1 3/4" in diameter according to the installation instructions. it is a pain to get them all through there and you have to fanagle (sp?)/work it

Old 03-20-09, 03:19 PM
W
Question

quote: “if you have a plate with the faucet that covers the other holes you should be able to get all the lines into the center hole as long as it is 1 1/8" to 1 3/4" in diameter”

No the hole is just too small less than one inch diameter! Trust me I tried squeezing them through the hole!!

Of course I would pick the one faucet out of 90% to get the wrong hole pattern!!!

If I would try to cut the hole bigger what kind of tools might I need?
Thanks for all your help!

Old 03-20-09, 05:10 PM
S
The sink is either heavy steel or cast iron.It's going to be a tough job.

Go to a hardware store with knowledgeable saleshelp.There are various rotary metal files designed to work in power drills,grinding stones etc but what is stocked will vary from store to store.

you're going to probably crack off some of the porcelain so try to keep that to a point the faucet's trim will cover.