Need to replace toilet supply but nut is stuck

Old 03-23-09, 12:22 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need to replace toilet supply but nut is stuck

discovered that the plastic water supply line is leaking right where it connects to toilet. it's a molded/plastic grey tube.
The nut that connects it to the valve is unmovable....the water supply coming out of wall is not a rigid pipe and it's difficult to get leverage. The valve is a straight line type (not L-shaped)

i've used a lot of muscle, holding the valve with channellocks (sp?), while simultaneously trying to loosen the nut with crescent wrench. i've doused it with wd-40, and still no luck.

what else can i do to loosen the nut?

Old 03-23-09, 04:12 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The pipe coming out of the wall is not rigid? What did they use? I suppose you are afraid you will snap something off in the wall if you reef too hard?

Old 03-23-09, 04:13 PM
H
just an idea what if you shut main off and cut your problem out and replace shut-off valve if you can move valve

Old 03-23-09, 04:32 PM
H
use pipe wrench to hold your valve

Old 03-23-09, 05:41 PM
M
Originally Posted by hgihvac View Post
just an idea what if you shut main off and cut your problem out and replace shut-off valve if you can move valve
first, thanks for trying to help me...hubster's outta town, i'm trying to save $$ by not calling in the pros. :-)

i'm thinking replacing the valve is probably my best bet. after all the tugging and pulling i think the valve itself is now leaking....how hard is it to replace the valve. my water pipe coming out of the wall is not copper. do i need special tools? i looked at valves at the home supply store...they aren't sold with any directions...grrrr.

any guidance is much appreciated.

Old 03-23-09, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by Melba87 View Post
discovered that the plastic water supply line is leaking right where it connects to toilet. it's a molded/plastic grey tube.
The nut that connects it to the valve is unmovable....the water supply coming out of wall is not a rigid pipe and it's difficult to get leverage. The valve is a straight line type (not L-shaped)

i've used a lot of muscle, holding the valve with channellocks (sp?), while simultaneously trying to loosen the nut with crescent wrench. i've doused it with wd-40, and still no luck.

what else can i do to loosen the nut?
I am sorry had to change my name other hgihvac was suspended. Anyway pipe coming out of your wall is probably galvanized and is threaded. So you should be able to unscrew your valve counterclockwise but you might have to hold your pipe from turning. and than just put some pipe thread paste and put your valve on. And do not forget to shut off your main water.

Old 03-23-09, 06:14 PM
you need pipe wrench to hold your pipe and chanellocks or another pipe wrench to turn your valve.

Old 03-23-09, 06:56 PM
M
Originally Posted by hvachelp View Post
I am sorry had to change my name other hgihvac was suspended. Anyway pipe coming out of your wall is probably galvanized and is threaded. So you should be able to unscrew your valve counterclockwise but you might have to hold your pipe from turning. and than just put some pipe thread paste and put your valve on. And do not forget to shut off your main water.
not galvanized, it's 1/2 inch grey plastic. i'm gonna try again in the AM...thanks again.Beer 4U2

Old 03-23-09, 07:00 PM
M
Originally Posted by hvachelp View Post
you need pipe wrench to hold your pipe and chanellocks or another pipe wrench to turn your valve.
yes, thanks, imma have to track down a pipe wrench in the morning, too. and i keep chanting to myself. turn off main, first. turn off main, first. turn off main, first. i'll check back in tomorrow...let ya know how it goes. :-D

Old 03-23-09, 07:32 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Half-inch grey plastic sounds like it could be Polybutylene. You might want to read this before you do anything. Polybutylene Plumbing - What is Polybutylene?

Old 03-23-09, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by Melba87 View Post
yes, thanks, imma have to track down a pipe wrench in the morning, too. and i keep chanting to myself. turn off main, first. turn off main, first. turn off main, first. i'll check back in tomorrow...let ya know how it goes. :-D
Forget pipe wrench not with plastic.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: