Toilet mounted below floor level & embedded in concrete

Old 03-24-09, 06:59 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Toilet mounted below floor level & embedded in concrete

We're living in a condo in a building that's about 110 years old. We're starting to think about renovating our bathroom and would like to replace our toilet.

Unfortunately, the current toilet installation seems -- well, let just say "non-standard". There are at least 4 issues:

1. It's a 10 inch rough-in toilet mounted in a 9 inch space. In order to make it fit, the installer had to carve holes in the wall.

2. The toilet is mounted below floor level. The top of the toilet mount (aka. where the mounting nuts are) is at the same level as the floor.

3. There appears to be concrete or plaster poured in between the base of the toilet and the hole that the toilet is mounted in in the floor.

4. We live on the second floor and would like to avoid having to replace our downstairs neighbor's ceiling as part of the job.

I've posted pictures here:
http://www.benday.com/photos/toiletpics

Here are my questions:
1. Does anyone have any ideas why the toilet is mounted this way?

2. Any idea what it would cost to get a new toilet put in this same space without fixing The Weirdness?

3. Any idea what it would take to fix The Weirdness?

4. What would it cost us to change the setup to a more standard 12 inch rough-in?

5. Are there any other questions that I should be asking?

Thanks,
-Ben

Old 03-24-09, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Well, looks like you had quite a hack job there.

I'd guess that someone put floor tile in and was too lazy to remove the toilet.

Raising the toilet isn't that big a deal..you should be able to put a spacer ring or 2 on top of the old flange. Of course that means you will have to make the hole in the wall larger/taller as well.

Getting a standard 12" toilet in there would involve tearing up the floor, redoing the piping, retiling the floor and wall and resetting the toilet. Thats assuming you have the required clearance in front of the toilet.

No clue on costs, depends on where you live and prevailing rates. I'd say you are looking at a complete gut and remodel, and yes, possibly getting into the neighbors ceiling.

Not a Pro anything...but even I could have done a better job than what you have now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: