Cast Iron Shower Drain Problem (with link to Picture)

Old 03-29-09, 05:36 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cast Iron Shower Drain Problem (with link to Picture)

I ripped out an old 32 x 48 fiberglass shower base, with a concrete floor beneath it. There is a cast iron pipe in the concrete, with what looks like a 2 lip flange on top that connected to the base of the shower pan.

Does the entire flange need to come off the pipe before I install a new shower pan? If so, how in the world does it come off (srew off, cut off, etc)? When it comes off, should there just be the 2 inch pipe sticking out?

It seems like the flange is part of the pipe itself, but I know it can't be because the top lip (looks like it is copper) of the flange sat on the inside of the shower pan. As you can see, I really messed up that top lip when taking out the base. Here are two good looks at it:

Snapfish: Share Photo:Registration

I appreciate any advice / help.

Old 03-29-09, 06:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
it looks like you have a copper pan and the flange was caulked in place with lead and oakum to me at least. you could try prying not to hard bt not to light or take a tourch to it and see if anything between the pipe and the flange melts fairly easily and that will tell you for sure if its a lead joint or you could try chiseling the area . lead is soft, so it wont be hard to put an impression from a chisel in it. if not lead a closer and slear picture may give me a better look but someone else might get on later that hasbetter eyes than I or has come across this type before

Old 03-29-09, 07:53 AM
D
It might be the lead, because as I was prying the copper lip away, I remember getting into some soft metal (actually thought it was rubber, but was shiny). So I do think it is lead - so what's the best way to remove it, and do I remove both the copper piece the other piece so that just the pipe remains?

Thanks!

Old 03-29-09, 01:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
i would try a small sharp chisel first and if that didnt work heat it untill all the lead is melted and try either scooping it out or prying up on it quickly before it becomes solid again which does not take but a few seconds depending on how hot you get the melted lead.

yes just the pipe should remain. you may have to open up enough concrete to allow you to cut the stand pipe or remove it from the p-trap hub so a new drain can be installed or find a plumber that knows how to do a lead joint and install another drain similar to the one you have now

Old 03-29-09, 02:27 PM
D
You were right - it was lead and the oakum and I finally got it off! The torch didn't work so well, so I used a small drill bit and put a ton of holes in it to weaken the bond. I also used my Dremel multimax with the metal cutter to help. Here's the end product:

Will the new shower drain go IN this pipe, or will it go OVER it?
Will the new shower base drain work with this, or is there something that will work for a PVC - cast iron?

Thanks again, you've been a great help.

Old 03-29-09, 03:27 PM
Shower Drain

The drain goes over the pipe, looks like 2in cast iron. measure
the pipe to be sure, its the I.D. you measure.

The possible prob. you may run into is that the pipe may be too long or too short for the new shower. The new shower should come with dimensions, make sure the pipe will work. Luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: