I want foot pedals for my sink, I think

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-09, 01:45 PM
Question I want foot pedals for my sink, I think

Hello,

I am interested to find out if anyone here has foot pedals on their kitchen sink? It seems like it could save water and make it safer to handle raw meats and things like that, has anybody tried? Are their any features that I should be looking for?

Thanks for any insight!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-09, 02:08 PM
nap
I've never seen them for a kitchen sink but it is a great idea imo. I am an electrician and currently working at a hospital where the faucets are generally foot pedal controlled or infrared sensor controlled.

you have a good idea. I am surprised the manufacturers have not sought the market but who knows why they haven't.

Old 03-29-09, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator
The foot controls are out there..but they aren't cheap. Check Kohlers site..I think they have them.

They do make sense, but you need the room under the kick to do it right. Don't want them sticking out into the walk area.

Old 03-29-09, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator
Welcome to our forums!

We have them in the hospital I work at and I doubt you would want to pay the price.
Also, they need a different space for installation than how a normal kitchen cabinet is built.

Hands free infra red might be the way to go but you would likely not really save much water and would be greatly inconvenienced when filing pots and such.
I find that for them to be convenient to use you need to have a fairly long delay before shutting off or you find yourself waving your hands to keep the water running.

Restaurants have no trouble with sanitation when they regularly wipe down surfaces.

Old 03-29-09, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I checked the Kohler site, WOW you were right, they were expensive. I also checked into the infrared ones, I agree with GregH that they are not very practical, plus I don't see how you could choose hot or cold separately.
I found a couple after market kits to add foot pedals that looked like possible candidates, I like one called a Tapmaster, it looks easy to use, $425 doesn't seem too out of line. There is one called a Foot Faucet, it operates the garbage disposal too! Is that even safe? But it looks like it is VERY easy to install.
At the hospitals - can you control hot and cold separately? That seems like an important feature, a lot of these after market kits mix the hot and cold for you.

Old 03-29-09, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator
We use a type of foot pedal with two pedals.
One each for hot and cold that can be pressed separately or together for warm.
We also have a knee operated one that moves to the right, cold first, warm then hot as you move it to the right.

Old 03-30-09, 09:22 AM
Thanks GregH, I think independent control of the hot and cold is a critical feature. I asked the Foot Faucet people about the garbage disposal safety issue. They wrote "A foot operated garbage disposal is safer than a wall switch because the disposal is only on when the pedal is being pressed. While a deliberate foot motion is needed to turn the disposal on, only a slight foot movement turns the disposal off in an emergency, instead of a difficult to reach wall switch."

I guess that makes sense, does anybody know if there are any codes about garbage disposal switches and access?

Thanks for all the advice!

Old 03-30-09, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator
I am unsure about codes but would have an opposite view of foot pedal control of a disposal unit.

Although a slight foot motion would turn it off it would only take a slight foot motion to turn it on.
Just imagine you sticking your hand in there to pull out the inevitable dropped fork and your pet or child or a bump with your foot turns it on!

Sounds goofy and dangerous to me.
Just look at all the safeties there are on foot operated industrial equipment.

Old 04-01-09, 10:59 AM
I have done a little checking into codes in our area and have not found any reference to foot operated kitchen sink either.

The Foot Faucet people did say it only takes a slight motion to turn OFF the disposal, but they did say that is requires a very deliberate motion to turn it ON. It sounds like you have to stick your toe up under the toe kick and push in a certain direction to get it to go on. In my checking around I did hear a story about a child being on the counter next to the kitchen sink, slipping into the sink with flailing arms somehow turning on the disposal wall switch as the child's foot went down the drain. Ouch!! I remember playing around on the kitchen counter when I was a kid, I suddenly feel lucky

I've been thinking about the disposal control while I've been cooking the past few days, and maybe having a foot controlled disposal isn't the absolute safest thing because you might hit the pedal by accident, but having it controlled by the wall switch seems less safe for turning it off in an emergency. My wall switch is kind of inconvenient to reach, which makes me waste a lot of water when I run the disposal.
If I decide to order the Foot Faucet, I'll let you guys know what the disposal operation is like.

Thanks for the ideas!

Old 04-01-09, 01:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
you havent found a code on a k-sink faucet pedal because no one has designed one like that. they make touch free kitchen faucets that once teh main valve is turned on all it takes is a touch in the right spots to activate it.

as for the disposer questions. they also make them with remote switches that can be mounted anywhere. usually the "disposer" switch is wired where one outlet goes to the switch and the other outlet is always on so you can easily retrofit push buttons or foot switches to your disposer. or just make it a double switch operation where the wall switch has to be on along with the foot or button.

Old 04-02-09, 02:15 PM
Instead of going to the expense of foot pedals, would elbow levers do the job? They should allow you to turn the faucets on and off with your elbow rather than using your hands - I've seen them used a lot in hospitals and commercial kitchens. Not sure where you'd get them, but they'd be a lot easier to install than foor levers. It wouldn't solve the water-saving issue, though.

Old 04-02-09, 09:18 PM
Hi Tony, I hadn't thought of elbow levers, that's an interesting idea. I'm not sure if I can get elbow levers for the faucet we want to use it on, but I'll have to keep that in mind when I go shopping for faucets next time. I agree, elbow levers might not solve the wasting water issue, or running the disposal with foot control, but it does sound cheaper.

I ordered a Foot Faucet today, I hope I don't have to test their return policy, I'll keep you posted.

Old 04-10-09, 09:31 PM
They make the device you're speaking of, less than $200.

Have to bolt it to the floor, has 1/2" MIP female threaded ports off the back side to connect.

Was wanting to do this for my laundry tub in the basement but the price shot up $59 in a year's time, killed that idea real quick.

Old 04-11-09, 05:35 PM
Chicago makes a double pedal valve, which runs around $175. Sensor operate kitchen faucets are not common, I have never seen one, but based on lav. faucet prices, it would be cheaper to install the pedal valve with a 'regular' faucet.

Old 04-12-09, 03:29 PM
maybe not if they are replacing the faucet also. delta makes a sensor operated kitchen faucet Pilar Pull-down kitchen faucet with Touch Technology : Kitchen Products : Delta Faucet

Old 04-13-09, 07:47 PM
I got my Foot Faucet today! It only took 1/2 hr to install, I only had to drill 3 holes and thread the fittings, they have a pretty slick design. The ease of install on this thing was one of the reasons I went for it, the Chicago type pedals look like I would have to do a lot of carpentry to get them to fit.
We used it when we made dinner tonight, it was great! The first 10-15 times I turned off the faucet handle by habit, but after I got used to not having to touch the faucet handle, I think foot pedals for the sink are a great idea!
I really like the garbage disposal feature being controlled by my foot, I think it's really safe. It takes a bit of effort to get it to go on, and you'd have to try pretty hard to kick your foot in the pedal direction and stick your hand down the disposal at the same time, when you lean forward to reach down, your foot naturally wants to move back to maintain balance. Anyway, the thing is powered by the disposal outlet so I can just turn off the disposal wall switch and it's totally dead, and safe.
Thanks for all the input. I'll let you know what we think after a few days.

Old 04-14-09, 03:07 PM
nap
so what manufacturer/unit did you end up with?

and links or websites to save searching?

Old 04-15-09, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by nap View Post
so what manufacturer/unit did you end up with?

and links or websites to save searching?
Sorry for leaving that out. I got it from Automatic Faucet, Foot Operated Faucet, Hands Free Faucet
The Company is called Pressure Products. It costs $329.00, more than the Chicago brand, but the Chicago foot pedals don't have a garbage disposal switch, touch sensor, or a night light. I think I saved the difference in the cost on the installation too, the Chicago foot pedals look hard to install, the Foot Faucet was easy. Let me know if you have any other questions about it, I'm still getting used to it, but I'm wondering why more people don't have them.

Old 04-15-09, 05:45 PM
nap
definitely interesting. Never seen an electrically actuated faucet before.

Old 04-16-09, 09:32 PM
Uzer 101, did you buy the optional extentions?

Old 04-18-09, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by mailcam View Post
Uzer 101, did you buy the optional extentions?
Hi Mailcam, I didn't buy the extensions, but I think I will. I think I'm going to get two sets, so I'll have four extensions. I planning to only use three though. We hardly ever use the latch, so that will not get an extension, but the other three will. At first I was worried about the safety of having a disposal switch on the floor, but now I think the switch on the floor is much safer, so having the extension will make it a little easier to accidentally turn on the disposal, but I can't imagine how I could get my hand down the drain and get the floor switch at the same time, my body just doesn't want to bend that way. The reason it's so much safer is because of how fast you can turn off the disposal, that saved me the other night. I was running the disposal and a spoon slid off some plates on the counter and into the sink and down the drain. I got my foot off the switch before the spoon hit the bottom of the sink, by the time the spoon got to the bottom of the drain, the disposal was pretty much stopped. If I had to reach for the wall switch that spoon would have been mangled, and my hands were all nasty so I would have smeared stuff all over the wall in the process.
I still wonder why foot pedals are not more popular, they are a cook's dream. I just heard about these a few weeks ago, but the idea of having controls for water and the disposal at your foot just seems to make sense.
Let me know if you have any other questions, it's kind of fun being the 'tester'.

Old 04-19-09, 12:13 PM
this is fairly new and it costs. $300 for the valve then $100-$300 for the install if they are not very good at diy'ing. kind of puts a damper on how many people decide to have this.

Old 05-06-09, 11:14 AM
Hi MailCam, I bought the extensions, they make it easier to see which pedal you want to push. I ended up using all four extensions and setting the outside two at an angle so we don't push them accidentally. I really like the whole system, the ability to run the garbage disposal on the fly is the greatest feature ever! I think we save a lot of water and our garbage disposal wall switch never gets yucky.
I agree with Plumbermandan that $300 is a bit of an obstacle, but it is really easy to install, all I needed was a 1/4" drill, channel lock pliers, and a screw driver. I used braided stainless steel hoses to connect it so those were only hand tight.

Thanks for all the input.

Old 12-22-09, 10:09 PM
Uzer101,

Any specs on the water valves? I'm not able to pay so much for the real deal, but I have a machine shop so I can make much of this myself, I think.

BTW, the real deal is on sale now for $269.

Old 05-18-10, 11:20 PM
Do you remain happy, Uzer101?

Hi I'm building and simply so that my beautiful new faucets might remain largely sparkling and clean, I've long thought about foot pedals in the kitchen. How are you feeling about your purchase at this point, many months later? Any regrets?

Old 05-19-10, 05:40 AM
Group Moderator
Uzer101's last visit here was in February, so I don't know when he might see your post.

Old 05-19-10, 07:38 AM
Well but perhaps the system will alert him to my post. Hoping.

Old 05-20-10, 09:53 PM
Hello Mirilla

I still wonder why foot pedals aren't more popular, they are so nice to have when you're cooking and want water without getting goo all over the faucet handle or disposal wall switch. I was a little worried about the disposal being foot controlled at first, maybe it would get activated at a bad time, but actually having the disposal foot operated is great because it's very easy to turn it off instantly, that has saved more than one utensil since we got it, and I can't see how I could get the disposal on and my hand down there at the same time without trying real hard.
I would recommend foot pedals for anyone that cooks/cleans often. I haven't tried any others than the FootFaucet but we have not had any problems with it. I would say I really like the touch sensor feature they have, it's just neat when you're bare foot, it works with socks too.
Glad to post, thanks for asking!

Old 05-20-10, 11:14 PM
Thank you very much for responding! I'll definitely be installing this then.

Old 06-12-10, 09:41 AM
Talking Foot operated hot and cold water sink pedals

I know this was a post from a long time ago, but I sure hope the person that asked that gets to read this.

I have hot and cold water foot pedals on my kitchen sink. you can step on both to get warm or just seperate for hot and cold. The sink faucet does not have to be on, but you also have the option to use the faucet as you normally would. It is awsome!!! People are just in love with it. They are not an eye sore and work like a dream, we cant live without now.

We put it in our house and my mothers. We are now putting them in a friends. The peddles cost about 150.00 and the plumber about 200.00. Only one guy out of thousands on and off line that said "no problem, I can figure it out. " he is incredible and it only took him an hour and a half to do it. He is in Northern Michigan.

Old 06-12-10, 10:08 AM
Wink Foot-pedal sinks

I'm right here and thrilled at your report, Justinkyle. I move closer and closer in my own build to making faucet-type decisions. Would you be so kind as to be very specific as to the model you purchased? Do you think your wonderful installer would care to fly out to me in Puget Sound?

Old 07-03-10, 11:17 AM
Smile sink foot pedals

Hello, any chance justinkyle posted the vendor for the hot/cold pedals that allow you to also use the faucet handles normally?
Thanks in advance...

Old 07-03-10, 04:22 PM
No Jaubry, I'm afraid I have not heard from him again. Mirilla

Old 05-06-11, 05:46 PM
to uzer101

I guess it's been almost 3 years since you installed your Footfaucet, any troubles since then?

Old 11-19-11, 04:57 AM
To: Uzer101 - Still happy with your foot faucet?

Hi Uzer101,

I'm hoping your still around. We are building a home and I am seriously considering buying the foot faucet for my kitchen. I've been wanting this kind of device for years. Just wanted to know if are still happy with your foot faucet after 3 years?

ajstover1

Old 11-19-11, 05:14 AM
Group Moderator
Last visit was 06-16-11, so he's still around, but an infrequent visitor.

Old 04-15-12, 10:55 AM
Still working!

Sorry all, I didn't realize there had been comments/questions here
We are still using our Foot Faucet, and I still think foot control of the faucet is great! I've seen the commercials for the faucet that you touch to operate, I want to ask them why? You still have to touch the faucet, just a different part. I'm afraid I don't "get" that, I think foot control seems like the best way to have a hands-free faucet.
We did have a problem when it got wet, they fixed it under warranty though. When I called they said they would fix it - no charge, I asked how they knew mine would be covered by warranty, I didn't tell him when I bought it, he said "they all are." So now I have the control box off the floor of the cabinet and not below where a leak might drip.

Glad to answer.

Old 12-05-12, 08:33 AM
Good tip

Tks uzer101, 4-15-12 response is good to know. I expect to follow this same path. I find it odd that the MFRS do not hear more from their users, and thus implement better designs. Z

Closed Thread